Y/K verses Dixie Chopper

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Eric 1, Mar 27, 2004.

What to buy

1. Dixie Chopper

7 vote(s)
  2. Y/K

3 vote(s)
  1. Eric 1

Eric 1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Heres the deal,

I am finally getting my new ztr after months of waiting. I am on you guys help avoiding all cheap home owner ztr's and going pro!

choice 1. Dixie LT-2000-50, 20 hp 50'' cut with ocdc and deluxe seat veay nice and cuts well. $5995 new.

choice 2. Y/K 48'' cut 18 hp nice but no ocdc and not quite as comfortable but only $4995

So is the Chopper worth the extra?

btw. I am prt time this year but will be full time next.
  2. bugspit

bugspit LawnSite Senior Member

I was in the same situation. Dixie was my favorite, then I started comparing and demoing.
    I now own a Scag Tiger Cub 48"/20hp Kohler....$5395.00. Used it today and I'm very pleased.
  3. Cleatus

Cleatus LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

can't you find something with more horsepower? that kinda power sounds great for a w/b, but i would want at least 23 with a ztr.
  4. bugspit

In this price range and deck size....I don't think so.
  5. Eric 1

Well scag is not an option.

I cut some tall thick grass with that 20 hp i think it will be enough for me.

Bugspit, what do you mean..."I dont think so"?
  6. bugspit

I was trying to find a ZTR in under 6K. what I found is a Larger motor = larger price, bigger deck = bigger price.
    I had a choice of a 19hp Kawa or a 20hp Kohler at the same price but get the 52" deck and the price jumps 1K as well as the hp size of the motor.
    You say Scag not an option, what, no dealers around GA?
  7. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

I have never owned a Y/K so I may be a bit biased, but I would recommend the Dixie. OCDC, ease of maintenance, good quality of cut, etc. I would also think about the dealers reputation. 20hp on a 50" deck will be plenty in my opinion. Best of luck, just remember you get what you pay for.
  8. mownlawns

mownlawns LawnSite Member

ERIC 1,
    Think about the X2001-50 instead of the LT2000-50. They share the same basic deck and the 20HP Kohler; however, the X2001-50 is a commercial model, a "Coatesville Classic", and the LT2000-50 is more of a homeowner's model. Big difference is the hydraulics, durability, warranty, and longevity. I picked up a 2004 X2001-50 in early 2004 for $5999 and added the OCDC to it for around $300. Not much price difference for the quality upgrade. You may want to check into it and consider the X2001-50!!!:blob4:
  9. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Go for more power if you can afford it and if they can dig one up. Which one????

<--- Y/K 48" :)
  10. Eric 1

There is a scag dealer but he is a 2x a-hole.

I did look at the x-2001-50, but i dont like the manual blade engage, it will cost $500 to up grade it to an ocdc and deluxe seat.

The dealer (a+) said that the LT-2000-50 IS NOT a home owner mower.

But yeah they were both the same base price.