1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Ya ever got chased or bitten by a dog?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Freddy_Kruger, Mar 27, 2006.

1. Freddy_Kruger

Freddy_Kruger LawnSite Bronze Member

I imagine a lawn mower would scare them, just can't leave the gate open.
    [​IMG]

2. StBalor

StBalor LawnSite Senior Member

I use to do a lawn where the owner was sometimes away and her dog was left out. I could only fit a 21" mower in her fenced area. What i would do is every time it would charge me like it was gonna attack i would push down on the handle to lift the front wheels to show him them blades, he would quickly turn back. The homeowner even said 1 time, I don't know how you get my back yard cut, my dog does not like anyone.

3. nephilim0167

nephilim0167 LawnSite Member

Never been bit or chased, but you can bet your bottom dollar if it's me vs. a dog I'm gonna win ;)

4. 2 clowns mowing

2 clowns mowing LawnSite Senior Member

when i was going door to door hanging bags on door knobs. i went up to this house and saw a beware of dog sign, i dropped the bag at door and didn't see any dogs. i turned around and the garage door was open and saw a bed mattress eaten up started to walk quietly away almost got to the end of the drive when i heard a growl looked back and wow! this was a big dog headed right toward me. i started to run backwards and the dog fence kicked in at the last moment and stopped that dog in it's tracks that was close

5. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Just started a new property three weeks ago, lady had two BIIG and I mean BIG german shepards out back...lucky for me they werent fierce. Kinda scary when you see two 100lb dogs nosing around and barking at ya.

6. Freddy_Kruger

Freddy_Kruger LawnSite Bronze Member

Last Fall I was cleaning windows and I was up a ladder between two houses, HUGE German Sheppard came running at me with the owners yelling at it to come back. Good thing I was on a ladder.

Another time I went to collect from a customer and I brought my dog and went up to the front door and a german sheppard (that same german sheppard; I got them as customers) so at the front screen door the sheppard freaked and the screen door popped open but the owner yelled at it. Then the owner said her dog why are you barking you know him, then she seen my dog.

7. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

my neighbor has a young but huge dog. the dog is "all bark and no bite" pun intended! he always comes onto my property when i start up the mowers and barks, last week i had enough. he came over as i started my broadmoor and i just chased him back onto his property, and he hasn't been around when i'm using the mowers since then

8. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

I had a customer last season that had a german shepard that was often left out in the back yard. The customer told me the dog was not that friendly but I never had any problems! I have had many dogs, both big and small and I get along with most any type of dog that I have run in to.

Just in case though, I have my steel toe boots on and I also carry a pocket knife with me so should I face a robber, skunk, dog what ever, I am ready to hold my ground!!!!

9. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

You just go ahead and go after a skunk with your boot or knife and see what happens@!!!!!

10. CC Lawncare

CC Lawncare LawnSite Member

That would be something to see:laugh: