Yahoo, I just got rid of my top 2 PITA's

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by pjslawncare/landscap, Mar 15, 2007.

1. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

Looks like my year just got much better. The end of last year I dropped my biggest PITA and then just a while ago my other big pita called me to say she is going with someone else. There is not enough space on this thread to tell u about all crap these these two were about, but Im so glad to see them go. Let someone else mess with them, Im fortunate that I have so many great customers.
  2. haybaler

haybaler LawnSite Senior Member
    from ma

I know the feeling. some customers are not worth the headaches.
  3. troy03

troy03 LawnSite Member

Good for you. I did the same thing. We reworked our vision and are taking on more high end residential and dropping more mow&blow accounts.
  4. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

YES! that is a great feeling isn't it. I got one of those calls the other day. That lieing B**** said she was moving, but forgot that I was friends with her fert guy. She signed on with him and prepaid for the year. Its funny how 90% of the complaints or headaches come from 10% of your customer base.

Hope you fill the slots with bigger and better who appreciate your work.
  5. Duncan90si

Duncan90si LawnSite Member

It is always a great feeling to get rid of those type of sustomers. I especially love it when I drop them. I told an old lady once that there was no way that I could possibly please her so I was not coming back. She was dillusional and accused me of things that never happened. The last time she said a had hit her flowers with the trimmer the week before. So we walked to where her flowers are and they were all still standing and she didn't know what to say. So she accused me of coming back and sneaking in her back yard to pick up the cut flowers some time with in the last week!! Thats where the line was drawn.
  6. sweetlou

sweetlou LawnSite Member

you have to use the 2x rule complain 2 times and you fire them.
  7. Liquidfast

Liquidfast LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

Alot of people should remember that in the beginning (not saying this is the case here) WE put up with alot of BS from customers. It's when you get to the point where you can drop or be dropped and it doesn't phase you because you know that they were never worth it in the beginning is a good feeling.

Now, if I can only get past not looking at other LCO's when they drive by only to glance in the rearview as they get further away as for them to not notice me....that would be the day.
  8. CutNLawns

CutNLawns LawnSite Member

So far i have got rid of only one out of three. One i raised his price from $35/cut to $48/cut because of the PITA factor and he decided he would try it himself which was the plan. The second I raised from $75/cut to $95/cut but he accepted the hike without even a peep so at least i'm getting paid. The third has not responded yet so we will see!
  9. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

I've had nice people who were PITA's too. They didn't mean anything, but would do things like gradually remould the shape of their lawn, add obstacles, etc, so very slowly that you never felt it was worth the hassle of a price increase, till you noticed after 2 years that you were there 2 hours a week instead of 1 and a half. They'd always have company over, with cars blocking things, ask you to move your truck since they were headed out, with amazing timing, since you are there a tiny fraction of the time, but they always seem to be home UNTIL you get there when they need to leave. Or they proudly re-edge their entire lawn. You then have to explain that they just added 10 min of work to your job and it'll be $10 extra.

Others will hire a pinestraw company to mulch the beds, who leave a mess. You have to either leave their mess in place or spend 20 min tucking it in properly and cleaning it up. Then you have to decide if it's worth it to hit them with a bill.

Some have terrible chem companies who hose it down and make your life miserable. You let them know to knock it off, but it never seems to change. Not their fault, they probably told the company to lay off the nitrogen, but you have to fire them anyway, since you can't be mowing a hay field every week.

My policy is to drop anyone who is the A** hole type of PITA immediately, and try to salvage the nice guy ones. But even they go eventually if they can't get it together. I had one cancel this year who wanted a broader spectrum of services. Nice guy, but I actually hated the yard every time I did it. Very difficult and tiring. So it was a blessing, since I hated to dump him otherwise.
  10. causalitist

causalitist LawnSite Senior Member

same thing here ... i only had one really bad lawn/customer .. and she cancelled this spring, perfect lol.

im thinking these types of people that are a pain are also more likely to switch from company to company, and thats probably why they call and cancel themselves and save us the trouble more often. .. fine with me lol