yahoo web hosting question

Discussion in 'Digital Marketing' started by shade tree landscaping, Oct 13, 2008.

1. shade tree landscaping

shade tree landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Does anyone know how or is it even possible to copy or somehow get a blank templete from the "yahoo site solutions" into the "yahoo site builder?" I found an awsome templet in the site solutions, but I can't add pay pal buttons with out setting exact ammounts, not just a button where the customer can enter the ammount. Also wanted to change the postitioning of text boxes and all kinds of stuff like that. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
  2. fool32696

fool32696 LawnSite Senior Member

Your best bet would be to copy the basic design framework of the template you like in site builder from scratch.
  3. cbscreative

cbscreative LawnSite Member

Online interfaces like site builder are your worst opton IMO. They are easy to use, but you have very limited control, they are terribly slow and inefficient, and the code is horrible (good luck ever ranking with search engines). To answer your question in a couple of ways, the least expensive option is to get a free download of NoteTab Light from and spend about $25 on a book to learn basic HTML. An easier option is to get a decent WYSIWYG web design program and use it to edit the templates. You can upload your edited files with any FTP program.

The easiest option is to hire a web designer and spend your time on your business instead of your web site, but I'm guessing from your post that you are more interested in the DIY approach. In this case, don't spend any more time than you have to because a DIY site is not likely to meet your expectations unless you've spent time learning Internet marketing. I commend you for realizing that a web site is important to your business, but it's a support tool to your other efforts, and creating it should not be allowed to interfere with effectively running your business.
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2008
  4. shade tree landscaping

shade tree landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

FOOL how do you copy the frame work from yahoo site solutions? I have tried everything that I can think of but it doesn't com up when pasting it.

CBSCREATIVE Barnes & Noble or borders should have a basic html book? I will take a ride over there tonite and check a few out. The yahoo site builder is not we based, although the site solutions is a web based program (<----the one I wanna get the templete from). Why do you say that it is hard to get ranked on a search engine when using the yahoo web program?
  5. Bill S

Bill S LawnSite Member

While I respect your opinions, local seo with site builder is no problem. I rank #1 on google, yahoo, msn and others for my important keywords. Trying to optimize on a grander scale, I can not speak for, but locally I dominate.

as far as the original question, call yahoo's toll free help number. They will jump through hoops to help.
  6. RickR1818

RickR1818 LawnSite Senior Member

I also utilized Yahoo Site Builder to get a site quickly up and Rank #1 Locally. I am about to revamp my site using Dreamweaver. I actually have a Bachelors degree in Computer Technology. Being 1 in searches also relies on links to and from your site. I have spent a lot of time marketing my site on others sites on the web. Since then, I have actually had other lcos want me to consult them on their internet marketing and web solutions.
  7. lawnprocut

lawnprocut LawnSite Member

What sort of sites do you try to link to? Specific examples would be appreciated.

8. fool32696

fool32696 LawnSite Senior Member

I use Gimp to make shapes, do my logo work, make navigation bars, and things like that. It's basically a program like photoshop for mac.
  9. cbscreative

cbscreative LawnSite Member

I guess I'm used to bigger challenges, so you guys raised a very good point on my search engine comment. Most communities don't have very much online competition in your industry, so getting to the top is only as difficult as what the competitive situation dictates. When I look at the code that I've seen from these "site tools" out there, it's terrible. If you find the competition getting more fierce and you lose your position, it's one of the first things I would look at. Even industry standard programs like Dreamweaver will create bloated code if you let it.

There are many arguments for much effect code structure has on search engine ranking. In my experience, if all things are equal between two sites, and one of those sites has better coding, the better coding wins. Think of Google as a home buyer. If they like what they see at first glance, then they begin looking in the closets and checking the finer details. The more homes you have in the same market, the more importance there is on the details.

I still advocate building a site correctly from the start as a good foundation. As the market changes and you find it increasingly difficult to dominate search results, that good foundation can be added to effectively. If the foundation is faulty, e.g. clumsy code, it's sometimes more expensive to fix than it is to start over.
  10. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

I rank #1 in most and at least top 5 in all cities I service in the DFW metroplex using Yahoo Site Builder. We aren't talking Mayberry. I could have used a more controllable site builder, but Yahoo was simple to use and it allowed me to do everything I wanted. As for the paypal stuff, I used to think there was no way around having a button for each set amount, but you can get around that by pasting HTML code on your site that will pop up an interface that will let the client enter whatever amount they need to. Just do a search for paypal invoice payments on your own website and you should find the same info I did that let me be able to set that up.