yalls thoughts on this truck

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by EagleLandscape, May 3, 2008.

1. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

Forget posting this in the ls section or the truck section, those guys are goobers. not that I'm better off with you monkeys, but atleast I know that yall know what youre talking about.

I rent a dump trailer all the time for our landscape renovations, and am looking for some sort of dump trailer/truck. I figure this is a lightweight version of a dump truck, that will hold what I need, yet can use it for commercial maintenance to haul bags of leaves and junk like that. I can also take the sides off, and sideways load pallets, or put 1' sides on there.

Crew cab is a must, diesel I'm not too wild about- paying 4.20 - 4.50 here now in dallas.

Decent miles, TruGreen owned this truck previously.

What do you all think?

DIXIECONTRACTING LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

Nice truck but in my opinion you should buy a dump trailer like I did because you don't have the added cost of insurance and you can leave it on job while you go get supplies or lunch and your guys can still be loading/unloading it made sense for me it was one of the best purchases I have made.
  3. EagleLandscape

I hear you point about being able to leave it on a job, thats a very good point!

I guess a dump trailer, with a flatbed might be better. I dont know?
  4. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

One ton trucks are a lot more expensive to insure that 3/4 ton or 1/2 ton trucks. A truck with a dump bed is also very expensive to insure. That truck will cost a small fortune in insurance, and it will cost a bunch to register every year. I know, as I have owned several one ton dump trucks here in Texas. Never again.
    Also, I have never seen a Trugreen truck for sale that was not a total piece of junk under the new paint.
    Save your money and buy a good dump trailer. Cheap to register, cheap to maintain, and cheap to insure.
    With all this cost savings, you can even buy a flatbed trailer too.
  5. WOW great advice John. Follow it. Amazing how often good advice is ignored.
  6. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

I'm not a fan of any of the small dump trucks, nothing smaller than a f450 really should have a dump bed on it. That 350 w/ the bed is already verging on it's GVWR and by the time you put maybe 2 yds of soil in it its going to be ridding real smooth. I for one recommend buying a REAL dump truck if you need one. We have a f750 on a 4 year lease and we run the crap out of it. when the lease is up we'll get another, but it hauls EVERYTHING soil/mulch related for my crews, and does a great job and a safe job.
  7. nylan8888

nylan8888 LawnSite Member

Hi everyone, I have been lurking for a while now and just finally registered because I was going to give the guy who had 3 contractors out for bids and then did it himself because prices were too high , a piece of my mind and a lesson in quality, but the thread was locked. Lucky for him.

I have been in the business for 12 years and owned my own company for 6. Here are the problems with a buying a truck for the dump.
    After time you come to depend on the TRUCK.
    When the dump has a problem and goes in for service, you are short a TRUCK.
    There is nothing that can fill this gap except another TRUCK.
    If you have a dump trailer and it goes in for service, you can rent another or use a flat bed trailer and a shovel for a couple of days to get by.
    Nice used truck with dump = $25000.00
    Nice used truck $20000.00
    Very nice dump trailer $5000.00
    Total is the same and you have 2 seperate pieces of equipment that are not dependent upon each other. Also gives you the flexibility to leave the trailer on site while you leave the men there to run for lunch, forgotten parts, bid close by etc.

And a good dump trailer will last a lifetime where as a truck will need to be replaced, if for no other reason than to keep the fleet looking nice and updated or when maintenance starts causing too much down time. OR, you just have to have that new CHEVY!
  8. EagleLandscape

thanks for all of the advice. you all sold me on a dump trailer instead of a truck.