1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Yanmar 1500 - 3 pt hitch won't lower

Discussion in 'Tractors' started by SiteSolutions, May 8, 2008.

1. SiteSolutions

SiteSolutions LawnSite Bronze Member

My neighbor has a YM1500 he's been working on. I took a look at it with him just now and figured I should get some opinions/ advice. The 3 pt hitch lift arms are lifted all the way up and seem stuck. I see two possibilities, although there may be others.

#1)The little control valve arrangement looks to be working correctly, with the possibility that it is not releasing pressure?

There is a control valve under the seat that, when you pull up on the height adjustment, is pushed in to raise the arms. We can push on that and hear the hydraulics working, but since the arms are all the way up already, no movement.

This control valve may not be coming all the way back out to allow the pressure off the lift arms.

There's a little doo-dad on the side of this valve, not sure what it does. Didn't want to tear up my neighbor's tractor without getting some advice.

#2) Maybe the arms are just stuck or cammed over or jammed or otherwise in some sort of mechanical bind?

Anyone with ideas or a good place to find mechanical drawings or download the owner's manual, give me a shout. This old guy must be 80 and is still tinkering on tractors; I'd like to be able to help him figure this one out...
  2. bdeboer

bdeboer LawnSite Member

I have a Yanmar 2402D and on that there is a "flow control valve" that turns counter-clockwise for a faster drop. This has a round handle and is located below the seat facing towards the front. It is possible to hit this valve with your foot as you exit the tractor.
  3. SiteSolutions

I think I know what you mean, but his has a T handle on it. I tried to turn it and it wouldn't turn a quarter turn in either direction. Maybe I need to put a little grunt on it and see if that helps it.
  4. SiteSolutions

I went by today to see the guy. Turned that valve a turn and stood on the arms and they budged, so I turned it another turn (we had to use big pliers to turn it) and he sprayed everything with WD40 and it worked loose.

Thanks for the tip.