yanmar excavators

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by bobcatboy, Sep 24, 2005.

1. bobcatboy

bobcatboy LawnSite Member

Anybody hear the good or the bad about these machines. From looking at them they seem to be a pretty stout machine. Give me some feed back.

2. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Ran a rental B5 a while back, it had over 5k hours on it and was very sloppy.

3. Dirty Water

I should note that a few landscapers here own Yanmars and swear by them, so perhaps my experience was unusual...then again, rental units with that many hours are usually loose regardless of what brand :)

I also hated the fact that it didn't have armrest controls. My usual rental is a Case CX36, which I love.

Crappy Controls:
    [​IMG]

4. bobcatboy

I was looking at the vio series, they look like pretty stout. I was looking at a vio 70. 17k pound machine.

5. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

The new Yanmars are excellent from what I've seen. I looked at a Vio35 at a trade show last year and it looked really nice, can't say much for the reliability or performance.

6. Squizzy246B

Squizzy246B LawnSite Senior Member

I have no personal experience with the Yanmar Exc but in Europe they are very very popular. I'm lead to believe they have similar quality to Kubota.

7. Dirty Water

Do the vio's have armrest controls? I'd never buy a excavator without them.

8. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah the Vios have pilot controls.

9. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

A local landscaper has a Yanmar mini its in the 9000-10000lb range I don't know what model it is but it does have the backhoe style controls. Myself I prefer the pilot controls with arm rests my arms get too tired running backhoe controls. When I ran JCB backhoe I had to have the seat as close as I could to the controls so I could rest my elbows on the seat arm rests.

As for Yanmar excavators I don't think there is anything wrong with them I do think most mini excavators are pretty similar in quality.

10. bobcatboy

the vio series does have a arm rest on both sides. And it has pilot controls like mostof your new stlye excavators