Yanmar Vio 55-5

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by JohnnyRoyale, Jun 24, 2008.

1. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale LawnSite Senior Member

Any thoughts on the YANMAR VIO55-5? I demoed one yesterday and like most of the machine except for a few insignificant quirks, like the throttle lever location and cab size. I got quoted $70K with full cab, pin grabber, air, heat, breaker, wrist w/30" bucket, hydraulic thumb, and 24" bucket, skid steer backing plate for the breaker, and excavator plate for my existing auger. thumb. They're taking in an old loader I have no use for anymore and it makes the deal just so much sweeter. We're primarily going to dig pools with this unit, and stack armor stone, etc.. Machine comes with full 3 year warranty and 0 interest for 3 years. Not bad in my opinion. Curious to know what you guys think.

2. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

You can get a Hitachi 50 for about the same coin.

3. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

I would go with Hitachi instead the dealer support is better plus Hitachi is a more common machine so that makes getting parts easier.

Keep in mind you may buy the machine cheaper than other brands but when it comes to repairs or parts it becomes $$$$$$$ you will need a hemroid cushion :laugh:

4. Dirtman2007

Dirtman2007 LawnSite Platinum Member

We just bought a new yanmar 55 a couple months ago, good and strong machine. It's a bit tipsy being a zero trun but it's not that bad. Yeah it takes a while to get used to the throttle. we have a 36" and 18" bucket, hydro thumb, price was around $52,000. It sure will dig with a 36" bucket! Put the 18" on there and it'll dang near rip rock!.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale LawnSite Senior Member

My understanding is Hitachis were made by Yanmar before Deere bought Hitachi. When that happened, they broke off their exclusivity agreement and started setting up a dealer network of their own.