Yard Boy...

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by N&CLandscaping, Aug 9, 2006.

1. N&CLandscaping

N&CLandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Well, I just got a free Lawn Boy Mower. The problem is it wont start. its also a twostroke. Its a 20". I dont know the year or the model. It says Select series and it is self propelled. Anyone with any suggestions on how to fix this? Thanks in advance

2. dutch1

dutch1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Jayhawk

If you read the third topic down from the top someone may be able to give you an idea. Since you say it is a 20 inch, I'd likely say that it is an old one, most likely with a mechanical governor rather than the air vane governor. The first thing I would check is the horizontal and vertical play in the crank. If you have excessive horizontal play you will have trouble keeping a lower seal in the engine. If vertical play is excessive you will likely have problems keeping a recoil start gear in it. Mechanical governors require some special Lawn Boy tools to set properly. Without model and serial numbers I can't give you any more help. I would think that a compression test would also give you an idea of the condition of rings and cylinder.

If it an old aluminum deck non selfpropelled with the greaseable ball bearing wheels, that would be one of LB's best efforts and may be worthy of a sesurrection if you would be willing to spend the necessary $$$$$$.

Dutch

Dutch

3. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

always start with the basics. did you check for spark? does it have fuel? what is the compression reading? post back with findings