1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Yard from hell

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by pilgrimicron, Feb 15, 2005.

1. pilgrimicron

pilgrimicron LawnSite Member

I have a huge problem and it is really making for a tough time here.

I have 2 acres of wide open yard with not much on it but our house and a few small to medium sized trees. The yard is mostly weeds and is a very sandy soil. The problem is that it in completely overrun with sand spurs. They stretch the entire length and width of the yard. I have 3 little girls that love to play outside but the sandspurs are so bad that during the summer they hate going out. They have become experts at picking them out of their feet and hands. Our shoes, pants legs, carpet, everything gets them. What do I do to get rid of them? I really do not have much money which I know is a problem in the solution. Someone told me that I could burn the yard over and that would do it but it just seems too easy. PLease can anyone help me here. My kids would greatly appreciate it.
    Edit/Delete Message
  2. tstrong

tstrong LawnSite Member

I've got this same problem. Is there anyone who can help us out ?
  3. Rhett

Rhett LawnSite Bronze Member

Pre emergent is the best way to start. I'm not an applicator so for more info on effective products to use would ask the guys up in the pesticide forum. Once they take hold have had some success with bagging thru out the season.
  4. chuckers

chuckers LawnSite Senior Member

One ounce of Round Up or any other non selective herbicide to 1 gallon of water. It will take care of sand burs but will also slow grass growth.
  5. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

we have sandburrs here. here's what you do.

first apply a pendemethelum product ( ie. pendelum) NOW.
    it will knock out most of the germinating burrs.
    next take a THICK piece of shag carpet ( the thickest stuff you can find). when mowing your yard drag this behind you. this will catch any spurs that do come up.
    sandburrs are annuals. the spurs are the seeds. get rid of the burrs this year and you will not have any next year.

I STRONGLY ADVISE AGAINST THE ROUNDUP ADVISE. roundup or any other non selective herbicide WILL dammage your grass, no if's ands or butts.

depending on the turf type, MSMA will also kill the adult sandspurs.
  6. Rhett

Rhett LawnSite Bronze Member

NO ROUND UP. Kills everything. What the heck????????????
  7. chuckers

chuckers LawnSite Senior Member

Round Up used in small dosages will not do any damage. You have to be really careful. It will act as a growth resister but yes it will kill sandburrs. Also depends on grass you are dealing with.
  8. Oldtimer

Oldtimer LawnSite Bronze Member

Check with your County Agent to find the best way to control the problem.