Yard gurus take a look, need your advice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Craftybigdog, Jul 25, 2002.

1. Craftybigdog

Craftybigdog LawnSite Senior Member

Hello guys Im new to this site but my question is, I just had a house built and its 1.6 acres. Well it use to be a pasture so it has alot of weeds around the house they put down seed and its coming up okay but the topsoil they used is terrible. I cut the yard several times tried to harley rake it because its real bumpy but the ground is real hard so I aerated real well and fertilized it and put down some seed but I think its time to aerate it again. Whats the best way and when to get a nice yard going and how would you level it out and get rid of the weeds? Thanks for the help!

2. HarryD

HarryD LawnSite Bronze Member

hire a local lawn care operator to take care of ya tell him your willing to help him out if he gives ya a break on his price ;)

3. Craftybigdog

Forget it I want to do it myself so its done right, thanks though!:blob4:

4. Alan

Alan Member

I'm sorry to jump on your case here, but that remark really bugs me. You don't trust anybody to do it right, for a price, but you're here, asking LCOs who do not have ot deal with you face-to-face for free advice. If you can't, or won't, trust the local guys why should you trust us, given the anonymity of the computer?

5. Craftybigdog

Alright I didnt mean to offend anyone let me re-word it I would rather learn to do it myself so I wouldnt have to pay anyone I have access to all the equipment, Im one of those people that dispise paying someone to do something, when I can do it and learn in the process!

6. HarryD

HarryD LawnSite Bronze Member

7. Turtle II

Turtle II LawnSite Member

:cool:
    Try seedland.com. Thats how I found this great place. They have tons of info there. Also many big universities have web sites devoted to turf management.

You're in luck too because late summer / early fall is the best time to establish a new or re-do a lawn....

:cool:

8. crazygator

crazygator LawnSite Bronze Member

I would seperate the 2 issues.

1) Bring in more top soil and spread it where you are having the uneven area's. Or till / harley rake again making sure it is all level (which might take some time due to large area).

2) Once you have a level soil base then areate (if needed) reseed and fertilize this fall. You can look in the phone book for a Lesco. Go and tell them what your dealing with and they can offer others things to think about.

I hope it get to the point you want!