Yard Question-What should I do?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by FlyByWireMarine09, Aug 13, 2005.

1. FlyByWireMarine09

FlyByWireMarine09 LawnSite Member

I was thinking about getting into the landscape contracting biz by getting some experience doing my fathers backyard. there is a narrow fence and entryway leading to the backyard. The back itself is about 20x10feet of concrete. Since it would be hard to get a skid steer back there, would you recommend getting a few guys with jackhammers to get it out or would it be worth taking the fence out to get a skid back there?

Have any of you guys encountered problems like this?

2. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Take down the fence and don't kid yourself thinking you can get into this biz by simply removing cement and installing sod in your Dad's backyard .Takes a whole lot more blood, sweat, knowlage ,and work than one little job sir.

3. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

use the skidsteer to remove the fence first

4. start2finish

start2finish LawnSite Senior Member

I admire your ambition, guys don't forget we were ALL there at one time. Some of us worked in the field and moved to our own thing and others fought it out and learned things the hard way. Do be so condescending, this is what we are here for right?

Back to the question, what is your plan for the backyard?
    Is the concrete "recessed" meaning are you going to need dirt to fill the hole left behind?

Are you trying to expand the turf? Plantings?

As for your immediate question a bobcat would be alot faster 20x10 = 200sqft
    about $500.00 to remove here. and haul away to landfill.
    we use a root rake grapple for concrete removal. If you are loading a truck be careful not to drop into truck because it will tear-up a tandem dump if you aren't careful.

length x width x depth = cubic feet divided by 27 = cubic yards
    always add 15% or so for compaction (dirt "shrinks" when you fill and run over with equipment)

10 x 20 x .25 (4inches) = 50 cubic feet / 27 == 1.85 cubic yards + 15% = 2.12 yards

about 2-2.5 cubic yards of dirt to fill hole if the concrete is 4 inches thick

5. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

I'm sorry, I must have taken the tone of your post wrong.Please excuse me for my bad manners flybywire! :angel: I am a bit testy lately,please forgive. :waving:

6. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

hey we just removed 88' by 3' of sidewalk and this sidewalk was from the 50's and back then they made it to last and this stuff was a good 4 to 5 inches thick then we had to do a cut out at the end of his street 40' long by 7' for a car and we ended but using over 1,500 sq. ft. of sod but anyway that skid loader wont break the concrete itll just be able to move big pieces into a truck but its alot of work so maby practicing on your dads where theres a lot less pressure would be good but youll feel really good if you do it right and remember water that sod good but not at night you dont want mycilia and stamp it down good too