Yard sale score

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by meathead1134, Apr 22, 2007.

1. meathead1134

meathead1134 LawnSite Senior Member

Today, I was on my way back from an open house and I noticed that this 1 particular place holds barn sales all of the time. I drove past it and turned around and went back to it. I never stop at these things, well I see numerous push mowers. I noticed that there was a self propelled lawn boy. The guy wanted $40.00 stating that it needs a tune up and an oil change and it dosen't run right. I though about it for a few minutes. I told the guy since it dosen't run, I'll give you $19.00 for it (its what I had for cash in hand) he ended up taking it no questions asked. I get it home primed it 2x and it fired on the first pull. I laughed it ran kind of rough. I then hit it with starter fluid and ran the thing for 5 minutes at it ran good.

1 x lawn boy self propelled mower $19.00
    1 x air filter $5.00 tops
    1 x spark plug $1.50
    1 x quart of oil $3.00

Not having to spent $350.00 for a new self propelled mower dam priceless.:laugh: :laugh: :drinkup: :drinkup:

who else scored something else cheap?

2. RonB

RonB LawnSite Senior Member

A few years ago I bought one of those el cheapo Homelite handheld blowers. It worked ok but started giving problems starting - so I just got a back pack ..

Anyway, about a month ago I stopped at a dumpster to toss the trash and laying on the ground was a Homelite blower, so thought I'd be able to get parts and make a good one from two.

Got home, primed it, pulled twice and it cranked and runs great. Works fine when I don't need the backpack.

3. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

I'm trying to figure out where you put that quart of oil in a lawnboy mower.... Or was it one of the newer models with the 4 stroke on it?

Sounds like a heck of a score... Hell, I would have bought it too, even tho I have no use for it. I just like older lawnboy mowers.

4. Horsepower Lawns

Horsepower Lawns LawnSite Member

Got this on E-Bay.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/BUNTON-HYDRO-WA...7QQihZ011QQcategoryZ71272QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

New fuel filter, new gas & starting fluid and a few pulls. Runs fine, used it for 4 straight hours on Saturday with NO ploblems. Mows great even with the old blades on.
    After I got it running I changed the air filter and oil & filter.

My dad has picked up some many push mower out of the trash I lost count. He would put in a new plug and gas and they would start right up.

5. Chop Stuff Up

Chop Stuff Up LawnSite Senior Member

just got a mtd rider for $50

6. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

Nice score there. Last January I picked up a Toro Proline 32" for $350. It does a great job cutting. If a person can shop around a bit and has some knowledge of things mechanical or lucky, good equipment can be purchased on the cheap.:)

7. stuffdeer

stuffdeer LawnSite Bronze Member

Ferris W/b, new belts and tranny and spare 12.5 hp- 650
    Bluebird Dethatcher- 122.53

8. ED'S LAWNCARE

ED'S LAWNCARE LawnSite Senior Member

Last week Murry self propelled push from a customer $15

9. Mowman16

Mowman16 LawnSite Senior Member

Nice Ferris hydro WB for 300. (sorry stuffdeer)

10. causalitist

causalitist LawnSite Senior Member

heck ya, i got my toro gts 21" that way. $25, its 17 years old and works perfectly. runs wayyy better than the new toro personal pace i have.

the new mower is now backup because the 17 year old one is more reliable lol!