Yard Sign Advertising

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by CrsCraw, Oct 6, 2004.

1. CrsCraw

CrsCraw LawnSite Member

Hi I am brand new to the forums and looking to start a business in central Florida. I had an "epiphany" tonight while reading the forums. For a new guy starting out stuff can get expensive going the flyer or printed advertising route. What do you guys think about offering the customer $5 dollars off your normal price if they let you put a yard sign advertising your biz. in their yard? This is probably not a new idea, just wanted to see what you guys thought. I love the forums and thanks a lot, tons of info.
    Thanks,
    Chris

2. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

If they will go for it, that is an exellent idea.

And you are right, this is an awsome forum.

3. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi CrsCraw,

Great idea! Maybe when you sign up new customers, you could get them to allow you to leave a sign up for a week or two?

4. SellPoint

SellPoint LawnSite Member

Perhaps it might be an easier sell if you used a small size sign a little larger than a burglar alarm sign but smaller than an 18"X24" real estate size. It won't grab as much attention but you may get to leave it during the whole term of your service as opposed to an intro period. People don't mind promotional advertising in their yards if it's less obtrusive.

Something like 12"X18" or less.

Just my .02

5. fraz001

fraz001 LawnSite Member

I went out and did the sign game, 5 signs cost 75.00 ea.
    Left at jobs sites some kids jump on 2 of them one got painted
    and to end a grate mouth 2 chains cut signs gone.. :angry: ...
    just hope u have bater luck then we did .
    most of my new work comes from word of mouth...........

6. Zach76

Zach76 LawnSite Member

This site has some great prices on signs.

http://www.witnessdesigns.com/

Also, I wouldn't necessarily offer a discount to customers right off the bat for letting you put a sign in their yard. Ask the ones who are on the busiest streets, and if they say yes (most of them will in my experience) you just got some advertizing without having to give a discount. If someone seems iffy about having your sign in their yard, then offer the $$ as an incentive.

7. tonygreek

tonygreek LawnSite Gold Member

Be sure when working yard sign deals, or just using them to advertise an installation you just did, that you are aware of that town's rules on signs. My suburb does not allow any size sign for any commercial enterprise whatsoever. Doing so results in a ticketed fine to the homeowner.

Tony

8. midtnstone

midtnstone LawnSite Member
    from mid tn

i use small signs that i put out after i do a install which stays in the yard around 30 days i never pay just ask the owner amd 90% of the people will go for it. but i think as far as the advertising part signs on your truck and equipment does more or just as good. i say equipment because they may not be able to see your truck but just so happens they see your mower or bobcat and know who is doing the job. imo the more your name is seen or heard the better off you are.