Yard Sign Discount?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Pet Domestic, May 3, 2014.

1. Pet Domestic

Pet Domestic LawnSite Member

I own a non-traditional landscaping company (pooper scooper) but would like to employee some of the same marketing techniques.

How does your business approach adding a yard sign after/during the work? What are the terms and discount? Do many customers say No?

Ethan

2. JeffH1

JeffH1 LawnSite Member

IMO, this isn't the business for yard signs. People don't want a stupid tacky sign sitting in their yard every week. Construction contractors are different because that is a once every couple year deal where you would need to hire someone...if even that often. It's just too tacky. Now if you do a big landscape install, that's different. But just for a mow it's stupid.

3. Pet Domestic

I aim for regular maintenance services so I was thinking more like a 25% discount for keeping the sign up as long as the customer wants. 2 weeks, a month, several months. Seems like a no brainer!

4. Jaybrown

Jaybrown LawnSite Bronze Member

25 % discount is crazy !

5. tonygreek

tonygreek LawnSite Gold Member

I have an educated guess that you're overestimating how much people want a dog poop removal company's sign in their yard. Start with the basics of who your target market is, who will actually pay for it, and work through it from there. It will probably become apparent. (I've had a dozen or so clients in your space.)

6. Pet Domestic

Thanks for the thoughts. Yes, I understand people might prefer their hardscaping or custom deck company's sign in their yard over mine, but I have a lot of great customers who might go for it, depending on the message and sign wording.

I was thinking something like "Yard Protected by Pet Domestic" and my website and phone number underneath.

Have your dozen or so clients tried approaching their customers with this offer? I'm in a lull from my Feb/March rush and am craving some lead sources :)

7. Jaybrown

Jaybrown LawnSite Bronze Member

Try it out just don't give a discount. I have lots of clients that have said to me You should out out a sign. They will do it for free if they like you. My clients want to help me. I do mostly estate homes with rich people tho

8. Pet Domestic

Thanks, I will give that a shot! I get the same good will from many of my clients like this nice house I do weekly:

pic.twitter.com/4tchLhgpC1

9. tonygreek

How does your yard sign not convey that you're an invisible fence company?

Yes, it's been my experience that pooper scooper owners will try anything to get their message out. Education, mostly environmental awareness, doesn't work. Word of mouth, targeted marketing to the neighbors of current customers, and traditional print/direct mail methods consistently perform better.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. tonygreek

I guess I made an assumption that you've done so, but #1 is "partnering" with as many lawn guys as you can. Your 25% kickback to them will likely do much better for you than to someone putting your sign out. You want the same customers as them. Co-market, kickback, partner, whatever you want to call it.
    Posted via Mobile Device