1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Yard Signage, How Effective?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by LawnGreen, Nov 15, 2007.

1. LawnGreen

LawnGreen LawnSite Member

I've been looking at yard signs for some advertisement that can be posted in a clients yard, there about $50.00 each.
    I was wondering if anyone has tried them and how they worked out.
  2. ATL Lawn

ATL Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

$50 to much to risk.. you can get 50pack for $100 + $20ship

do they work?

lets just say, if you ONLY get 1 job out of 50 signs posted, and u only paid $150, but the new job was $5,000 /w a 33% margin... umm. ill let you answer that one..
  3. Sweet Tater

Sweet Tater LawnSite Silver Member

I got 4 made at a locl promo shop, you know the kind that makes company gimmicks to hand out to customers..... anyway mine were like $35 each, corrigated plastic... I put them on my very best yards, but I can't attribute anything to them in the last year
  4. Mr. Vern

Mr. Vern LawnSite Senior Member

The response from yard signs depends on a few factors. First off, the property has to look good, second there needs to be a lot of traffic, I don't know what the ratio is, but you have to have a lot of people view your sign for every one that will be looking for the service you offer. Thirdly, the quality of your sign! Don't use cheap signs if you are advertising high quality work!

Corner lots are the very best for signage. We do only installs, but we won't put out a sign until all of the finish details are decided. We have had jobs where we thought the customer's choice for finishes were ugly and did not want our sign on property. Sounds bad, but you have to protect your image.

We just re-did my front yard and put a sign out. We have gotten over 20 calls and have done 6 jobs to date as a result of people having seen our yard and wanting to have us do theirs. We are on a corner lot and get good traffic going by.

Bottom line, I would buy a handful of signs and keep putting them on the best properties. You also need to be easy to find i.e. yellow pages, etc... because most people will see your sign and like your work but may not need your services right away. They will remember your name but not your phone number.

Good luck.
  5. LawnGreen

LawnGreen LawnSite Member

Thank you Mr. Vern

That's what I was hoping to here, sound very well worth it, especially when you have all your ducks in a row.

The signs I'm looking at are 18"X24" metal signs with a Black metal sign holder. they start out at $50.00 a sign and drop depending on quantity you order.

It sounds like a good way to advertise. I'm going to try it, I'll start with 3 signs and let you know how it goes.
  6. stevenf

stevenf LawnSite Bronze Member

I got one phone call from my sign this season. It was some guy calling to tell me my break lights werent working. :)
  7. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

might wanna check your city's sgin laws.