Yard Signs

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by newbie35, Feb 23, 2007.

1. newbie35

newbie35 LawnSite Member

Who has used them? Do they work? Where do you order them from? I am thing of getting some and putting them all over town. Let me know your experiences with them.
    Thanks

2. McCallum & Sons

McCallum & Sons LawnSite Member

I use them mainly for installation jobs. I got mine from my sign guy. Anyone who does signs, vinyl graphics etc should be able to help you. Make sure you get approval before you go posting them everywhere. Most developments have homeowner association rules against this type of advertisement. Put the sign up during or after a nice job you worked on.

3. mattfromNY

mattfromNY LawnSite Bronze Member

I use them, but only while we are working on a project. If we are trimming hedges, or mowing, or shoveling snow off roofs, we'd have a sign out front. Amazing how many people commented while walking by or called and said they'd seen our signs at a jobsite. I dont know exact figures, but they definately pulled us some work, and paid for themselves. I paid $25 each with stakes, just one color on white boards. This year I am going to put my phone number bigger, though, b/c some people said they saw the name, and had to look up the phone number b/c they couldn't read the sign while driving by.

4. mattfromNY

I dont know about posting them all over town. I've seen another local company do this, and his signs were spray painted, pulled out and put back upside down, run over, etc. Evidently people dont like him too much, but at any rate, my opinion would be it doesnt look very professional, unless you are showing off a job you've done or are currently working on.

5. newbie35

newbie35 LawnSite Member

Thanks for the reply. I agree with you about the professionalism but I was talking with another business owner last week about Christmas light installation and this was his only mode of advertising. He was doing this in an area he does not service for lawn care. His first year he got 65k in lights from this. I agree 100% about it looking tacky but if it works who cares you know. I'd rather look tacky and have a big bank account than look professional with no work. I guess in his case he was serving a demand through signs for services that people wanted regardless of the impression on the business. He even had the Ferrari dealership so these were high class people. I haven't decided yet what I will do but am looking for all your opinions.
    Thanks

6. Clear-Cut

Clear-Cut LawnSite Senior Member

i dont think you would really need a yard sign for when ur doing a job...if you just put a sign on your truck or trailer it would save you the time of pulling the sign out and putting it away

i dont see how it looks unprofessional..especially if you just finished up doing professional looking landscape job

7. mattfromNY

Thats cool, I hope it works out for you! I live in a small town, It might be different in more populated areas. Ya gotta try it or you'll go to your grave wondering!

8. mattfromNY

JM- I meant it looked unprofessional to me seeing another companies' signs all over town bent over, run over on street corners, spray painted, nailed onto telephone poles, etc. It looks much more professional to have a sign in a yard you're working on or you just worked on. I agree about the truck and trailer signs, but ever try reading the SIDE of a truck while you're driving past it? a sign placed perpendicular to the road is much easier to read. As I said, just my opinion.

9. Ed Ryder

Ed Ryder LawnSite Senior Member

Hmm... you might want to try using a phone number to an untrace-able pre-paid cell phone on your signs, and no identifying information. Then screen your calls carefully.

If you put the signs up all over the place, you'll get some unhappy people calling you, including probably code enforcement people.

10. echeandia

echeandia LawnSite Bronze Member

Not if he makes them look like an election campaign sign. Those people plaster their signs all over the place and never get a fine.