Yard Signs

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by Turf Troll, Jun 21, 2007.

1. Turf Troll

Turf Troll LawnSite Member

I want to do new yard signs for lighting and leaving on jobs.

I am thinking of going the next step up from the coreoplast and do the steel framed signs.

I would like to hear some suggestions on how anyone has had theirs made or designed. Did you go for the 18" x 24" or the half size ?

Thanks

2. extlights

extlights LawnSite Senior Member

In my personal opinion I'd stay away from the steel frame signs. We have them and have used them for years, but we recently switched to the cheapo plastic-ish signs. Problem is that with the steel signs, you have to remember to go pick them up. With a service area as large as ours, that becomes a real pain. Yes they look nice, but our new cheapo signs look pretty good also and we don't have to pick them up.

Plus the steel signs are pretty expensive.

3. New Heights

New Heights LawnSite Member

My lawn signs are made out of alumalite, Its like the coreoplast but the outer skin is made of alumnium. They are nice they dont rust and hold up to the elements. They cost me around $100 for each sign but its well worth the quality referals they generate. I leave theese on all my planting/design jobs.

4. Lite4

Lite4 LawnSite Gold Member

I have steel signs. They are 24" x 32" with a full color vinyl on 1 side which I light up with a temp light for 2-3 weeks after completion. I don't do so many jobs that it is a pain to pick up. I will also follow up with a few of the neighbors while I am there to pick up. I like the larger sign because it shows better at night and is easier to read. Steel for longevity. Cost me 125.00 each.

5. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

I noticed clients sometimes pull em and place em with the trash after 10 days to 2 weeks.

125 for a sign "????? OUCH.

Local sign shop does the clorplast ones for me... double sided.. looks almost like our business card but says Landscape lighting by then our logo and phone and website. Cost... $20.00 ea.... usually takes him about a week to whip up a few for me. Maybe you guys should call my guy and have him make em and do em. Also really nice using a local co. the national compaines like FAST signs has always quoted us at least twice the price. Witnessdesigns.com or something like that has a pretty decent price online.

A note on signs... they gotta be visable at night... either place a light on them or place them in a well lit area. On jobs we have not be able to light the sign ZERO calls... on jobs we light the sign we get at least 2 inquires and 1 job off them.

Seems I been fixing everyone elses failing systems latley and I got no desire to claim these as my own work:cry: :cry:

6. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

I need new signs for the landscape lights, but I order my Christmas signs in bulk, about 500 or so for 3 bucks apiece. 2 sided 3 color, with stakes, plastic cardboard. when they get stolen or lost, no big deal. a 20, 40 dollar sign, ouch.

7. Lite4

Hey Billy. I have never had one of my signs disposed of. I think because not only are they heavy which usually translates to a pretty good investment, and secondly I give my client a date by which the sign will be removed. I tell them if they need it down sooner to just call me.

8. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

I've had a a couple of steel ones taken. the cities I work in have sign ordinances and the garbage men and parks and recreation people pick them up and throw them out. they put a little yellow sticker on the sign first, 1 week later, pulled. thus I switched to the cheap signs.

9. Lite4

Yikes, I see your dilemma. I would probably go to the cheap ones too if we had to deal with that here.

10. dab212s

dab212s LawnSite Member

do you think a solar light would work for lighting the sign? it would be much easier to set up and take down that way, and would be nice if the transformer is close to its limit.
    (something similar to the first fixture on this page: http://www.solarilluminations.com/acatalog/Solar_Spot_Lights.html)