1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Yard sizing?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cadzilla500, Jul 18, 2006.

1. cadzilla500

cadzilla500 LawnSite Member

How is everyone figuring the size of their yards. I am still going off a visual estimate, but I'm planning on stepping up my business next year. I was thinking of buying a measuring wheel to help determine the size, and to help keep my estimate in the ball park.
  2. LALawnboy

LALawnboy LawnSite Senior Member

i've actually been thinking about doing the same. right now, i do the same as you, i just estimate. i live in the city, well suburbs, so i don't have to worry about acres or anything like that. but i have in mind exactly the size yard i do for my minimum price, and i work from there.
  3. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

I use a range finder (400 yard) - The same one I take elk hunting. Stand at one corner, shoot the dimentions, and you are on your way.
  4. StBalor

StBalor LawnSite Senior Member

Once you start getting work in 1 community you will normally always know the size in that community. Measure 1 yard they are basically all the same there. With the exception of corner lots.
    there are also websites that tell you lot sizes. www.zillow.com ( i learned this from here.) just type in address and house comes up. With lot size.
  5. cadzilla500

cadzilla500 LawnSite Member

Those are some good suggestions, what is everyone else doing?
  6. Splicer

Splicer LawnSite Senior Member

Cheap and dirty...I walk it off...my stride is about 3ft so multiply 3 by however many steps it takes to get from one end to the other...Not exact but close enough either way...
  7. hmartin

hmartin LawnSite Senior Member

Eyeball is great. There are some areas that are half as small that take twice as long to cut because of the obstacles and terrrain. A tape measure will not account for this.

You can buy a measuring wheel at lowes for about 50 bucks if you want to really be accurate, but then you have so many drives, pools, patios, beds, ect. to subtract out.