1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

yard sodding

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by JTS lawn care, Mar 29, 2003.

1. JTS lawn care

JTS lawn care LawnSite Member

i was thinking about getting into yard installation this year like prepping the yard and laying sod. i was wondering if this would be a good thing to get started in doing. if so is there a lot of profit in doing this.

2. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

I am a firm promoter of experience and education.

Nobody should go into business without first gaining experience and education.

You asked a question about a kind of work and timing - when you can answer that question correctly yourself without guessing, you will be closer to being ready to go into the sod business.

If someone needs to ask a question that basic, it indicates that they lack the needed ability to do that work from a business angle.

That's not meant as a criticism. It meant as a fact.

If I did not know when to prune trees, and had to ask, then I am not ready for business. I need to work for someone and get the experience.

Once I learn, the question is no longer needed.

3. roscioli

roscioli LawnSite Senior Member

While I agree in some degree to the other reply, a good way to find out the answer is to ask. I have learned almost everything I know about landscaping from lawnsite, and picking through valuable threads here. Sodding can be profitable, but is hard work too, just as anything else in the world. Get a book. Search Amazon.com or half.com or ebay even for books about sodding, or lawn installation, or any of a million other techniques, read, and learn. OR, search here, read and learn. Either way, do some reading.

4. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

Yep, there is a lot of profit - however, you need to know what you are doing. I would work a couple of jobs with a LCO just to get your feet wet. Then ask your self if you still want in.

5. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

There is and always will be money in landscape design, installation, and construction. Knowledge is a must, and more profit means harder work. You will most likely need to get some laborers, and some new pieces of equipment. :cool: