1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Yard top dress/ leveling quote.

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by gulfjoe, Jun 26, 2012.

1. gulfjoe

gulfjoe LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey Folks, I was wondering if you could give me a ROUGH estimate of what it would cost to have a professional like many of you come top dress/level my lawn. The yard was graded poorly when I bought the home, I have also put in irrigation since then and added sod in the trenches left by the irrigation company. The yard is a Tif419 Bermuda and is Roughly 8000 Sqft of grass.

2. gulfjoe

My goal is to cut with a reel mower I purchased that is just collecting dust in my garage.

3. wrager

wrager LawnSite Member
    from ATL

4. wrager

wrager LawnSite Member
    from ATL

Here's the result of the application.

post level2.jpg

5. gulfjoe

Wow. That looks like there is no grass showing. Do you have any photos of what it looks like now? I am thinking about doing it myself but the labor is looking to be a ton and I only have one guy that will help me
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

You best results are going to be gotten by doing it yourself... take it easy, keep it simple and don't rush it... a pickup truck load of the correct material from your local construction yard, a wheelbarrow and tools you can do as much as you want for the day... after you soak it down and let it dry you'll probably need to rake it out again depending on the thickness and the amount of settling that occurs...

Using sand as the other fella did can be done with all that extra work, but is it necessary for your lawn???

7. wrager

wrager LawnSite Member
    from ATL

The photo above was before they used the drag matt. Here are pics after 8 days.

8. gulfjoe

no pictures wrager

9. wrager

wrager LawnSite Member
    from ATL

Not sure why they won't load. I'll go to Photobucket.

8daysin.jpg

8daysin2.jpg

10. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

About $140-$160 per k including materials.
    Posted via Mobile Device