Yard top dress/ leveling quote.

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by gulfjoe, Jun 26, 2012.

1. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Your hedges need to be trimmed like mine!
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

I am Head Gopher in many cases. I sit more than I should but I am in the field and get my nails dirty.
    Frankly, I have to have billable time to pay my bills, not big enough to sit behind the desk.

Again, many of our lawns are 6500 to 7500 total lot size and we are lucky to break $30 on them rotory. Most people wanting Reel mowing, have Reels and we just do other things. Lawns in Texas do suffer, watering restrictions and such so few lush green lawn types it seems. Nice but not lush.

MY HOA has over 2K houses, we have plenty of houses close by.

Since I have WC and GL and pay my guys just above what the DOL says is average, with Holiday, sic time and vacation. My margins are not the best either but I make money.

Not to hijack the thread but it has played out pretty well.

3. Duekster

from DFW, TX

This looks to be a sized typical lawn in my area.

[​IMG]

4. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Hell...we are gonna build a house for a customer this fall. My partner has contractors licenses and has built many houses and developments...we will do anything for money. This past winter we finished a basement for a customer.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. gulfjoe

gulfjoe LawnSite Bronze Member

Lots of info on this thread that was dead a few weeks ago... But I am loving the info I get from you guys. I'm not sure if I am going to be able to do a leveling project this year, wife is a little upset with the amoun of money I have been pouring in to the yard. I think I want to aerate though. Is there a specific time of the year you should aerate Bermuda in south GA?
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. Duekster

from DFW, TX

Glad we could help :D

My personal opinion on aeration is pre-spring but that has more to do with time management. In your case it has to do with how healthy is the lawn growing. Any time when it can recover and grow roots.

Regardless of what these GA guys tell you, run a soil test and amend with compost is less than 2% and do not add if more than 5% organic matter.

Pre-em is often needed after aeration cause weeds love disturbed soil.

7. Duekster

from DFW, TX

If you can, then do it.

I know a rather large builder around here that was a lawn sprinkler guy at one time.

8. gulfjoe

A few reasons why I want to level. I know its very bumpy under the grass because the builder did a piss poor job of grading/leveling. Here are some photos of what it looks like. I myself did not do the best job laying the sod where my irrigation guy left me trenches. I thought it was level everywhere with the existing lawn and my mower has told me different. trying to upload pics but lawnsite is not cooperating.

CIMG6765.jpg

9. Duekster

from DFW, TX

Sod and irrigation installs are not going to give a level lawn.

fact of life but it can be workable with a rotory mower.

Builders often do not pick up construction debris, they cover it with construction sand and then throw sod on it. This debris will either rot and sink or push up to the top. Even years later.

How old is the yard? You may want to let it settle a year or two. Hand level the really bad spots in the mean time.

I would be more concerned with soil test first. These soils need pH adjustments.

10. gulfjoe

I had a soil test in march. Had a really low PH of 4.9 I put down 40lbs of lime per 1k per sqft. going to get another test in late September. test recommended 140lbs per 1k sqft

I own a reel, 20 inch McClane. I have used it once on a portion of my lawn, It looked ok but it killed the high spots. It has been put to the back of my garage for now.

Sod was laid Dec 15th 2011 with new construction. sprinklers installed apirl 25th 2012. Sod laid in sprinkler trenches June 1st 2012.