yard with just mostly weeds

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jeff_0, Mar 12, 2003.

1. jeff_0

jeff_0 LawnSite Senior Member
    from md

this is what i posted on another forum:

i had a person call me today and want a price on getting grass to grow on her lawn.. she said it's mostly just weeds.. in this case would i just overseed what's there and put down a post emeregent later? or do i put something down now to get rid of the weeds and reseed later?

and someone emailed this to me and i wanted to know if it would work...

Hey saw your post about a yard w/ mostly weeds. What about just doing a complete kill w/ Round-Up? Yes, you can do it the other way but as mentioned it will take 2-3 yrs. Kill everything now, till & reseed. Customers want results now! and 2-3 seems like it would only be good for that especially patient customer.
    If you read the label on Round-Up you can reseed in as little as 24 hrs. I myself would wait until the plant has fully absorbed and translocated the pesticide (complete to the roots) until tilling and seeding.
    Besides if you just leave the weeds and overseed I think you'll get very poor growth as the weeds will compete w/ and choke out any new grass seed trying to grow.Wouldn't that make sense?
    These are my suggestions. I'm not putting them on the board b/c I don't need somejerl arguing w/ me and telling me "I" don't know what I'm doing. Sorry "Bud" but 10 yrs. experience tells me otherwise.
    Hope this helps.
  2. AztlanLC

AztlanLC LawnSite Bronze Member

Well sound like a solution, it all depends on what kind of results your customer is expecting too, get more information at how much he is willing to spend in this project, if the site needs to be regrade or if he wants to test the soil for any unseen problems.

Mow weeds really short, apply round up wait couple of weeks to see if you didn't miss any spots, slice seed it, apply starter fertilizer, tell customer to water at least 1" a day early morning is better.

Test soil, kill weeds follow recommendations on soil analysis, apply any materials (compost, top soil, sand) or whatever the results call for and also apply your starter fertilizer at this point, rototill the soil so all the new stuff mixes with the old at leas 10" deep, rent a bobcat with a Harley rake if property is really big, broadcast seed, pass a plastic rake upside down (so seed makes contact with soil) or a roller, cover with straw (not hay) follow same rules for water.

Choose the right seed for the site (shade, sunny, etc..)
  3. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

Any lawn comprised of 60% weeds or more should be completely re-done. Anything less is wasting the customers time and money. Not to mention taking forever to get the lawn in shape. That is fierce competition for grass with that many weeds growing.
  4. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

Not to start a flame war here, but this is the kind of thing that bothers me about the business. People are starting their own businesses who don't know what they're doing. If you can't solve this simple problem, I seriously doubt you've completed any coursework in the field and possibly aren't certified to use the pesticides on customers' lawns anyway. You simply lack an understanding of how these plants grow and what to do to solve problems in the turf.

Take a year and go work for someone else and learn the business. Frankly, I'm getting tired of potential customers treating me like I'm incompetent because the previous 4 guys they tried were.
  5. jeff_0

from md

your wrong, wrong, wrong,... i have my md pesticide applicators license
  6. jeff_0

from md

also i completed course in pesticide safty and turf management.. even though i know an answer to problem i like to ask and get other peoples input. no harm in that.
  7. KCLandscape

KCLandscape LawnSite Senior Member

Jeez bruces - long day at the offic?
    That was a pretty harsh comeback
  8. KCLandscape

KCLandscape LawnSite Senior Member

Agree w/ AZ
  9. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

Wait a minute? The guy doesn't know how to do a simple lawn renovation and that's harsh? What's harsh about telling him to go actually learn the skills required in the business before he winds up buying people new lawns? I doubt they'd appreciate him "practising" on their lawns. I think it's obvious he's inexperienced. Would you want a plumber who's never fixed a leak before showing up at your house for $100/hour? Oh, but he did read a government booklet on it. Nevermind.

So much for any concept of "professionalism" in the biz. I give up. Let anybody who just got laid off from their shelf stocking job at Walmart sell lawncare services, then.

By his question he demonstrated a lack of knowledge about the use and residual effects of broadleaf weed herbicides and non-selective systemic herbicides like roundup. Forget a year working for someone else. Even a month on the job and you'd know how to renovate a lawn.

And we wonder why some people look down on this industry.
  10. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I completely agree with Bruce. Re-read the question. Does this sound like anyone with experience? NO. Does this sound like confidence? NO. This is the type of stuff that makes us look bad.

This forum is for raising the bar in our industry. If that means sometimes you must say things that are harsh, then so be it. Reality isn't always covered in flowers.