Yardman 160cc honda push mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by deb963, Jun 7, 2008.

1. deb963

deb963 LawnSite Member

Has anybody tried the yardman 160cc push mower with a honda engine. I need some reviews on this unit?

11A-549Q755_prod_lg.jpg

2. jkason

jkason LawnSite Senior Member

Good for a homeowner....

3. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

Why buy that? It's total garbage. Get a toro/exmark commercial unit.

4. saw man

saw man LawnSite Bronze Member
    from utah

I have no idea why these threads come up!!

You can put i good engine on a POS and it will still be a POS!

5. born2farm

born2farm LawnSite Bronze Member

i have basically that same unit except mine is a troy bilt. it has the same motor, deck and bagging system. all thats different is the color, wheels and name. i run mine for about 6 yards a week doing trimming and many hills. it has held up good but i would suggest getting a commercial unit if the funding is there.

6. Groh's Mows

Groh's Mows LawnSite Member

These yardman mowers are made by MTD and they do make Troybuilt, as well as numerous other brands. They make some heavier duty mowers up to 48" or 52" walk-behinds that are idendical to the lesco or cubcadet wb's (they are the supplier for both companies wb's I think). You can also find some slightly heavier duty 21" MTD mowers with the designation MTD Pro. If you are just starting out this mower will do what you need it to do. Last I checked one like the photo you posted was $208 at Wal-mart so it is a low starting cost. What you will find is that a mower like this is not really built to withstand the demands of heavy use and some of the knocking around a commercial mower receives. The things that will fail fairly quickly are the wheels and the push handle and the attachment points for both. If you have some mechanical aptitude you can take care of some of this yourself. That Honda engine is almost as good as one on a comm. mower and if you keep clean air filters (with a pre cleaner) and oil changes it will last a long time. I started with a Honda powered Yardman with the wavy combo blade that mulches/bags/side discharges and it had a very good cut. Several years ago consumer reports ranked a couple of yardman mowers at or near the top of their rankings. Bottom line is this is a machine made to mow a fairly small yard once a week or so, and you just have to know that going in.