1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Yardman 38" cut, won't drive any more. Any ideas what the broken bit is?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by apples017, Feb 20, 2010.

1. apples017

apples017 LawnSite Member

Yardman 38" cut, won't drive any more. Any ideas what the broken bit is?

My old yardman MTD 38" cut 12.5 twin cylinder b&s has finally stopped moving. The lead up to this was that you would be dring around and then the thing would slow down in forward momentum.

Then I would press the brake/clutch and stop moving, then release it and it would go forward again etc.

Eventually now nothing happens. It was pushed into the shed and there it has sat for a while now.

So as it is now, you start her up and go to take off and you can just here a spinning noise and thats it.

It has the forward-neutral-reverse transimission with the 8 speeds on the right hand side wheel guard.

Any ideas what might be the issue? Could it simply be a worn belt? or something more sinister?

Peter

2. EcoGreen Services

EcoGreen Services LawnSite Member

been a long time since i looked at one of them but If that's the type that uses a long belt to the rear drive, make sure it isn't slipping.

3. EcoGreen Services

EcoGreen Services LawnSite Member

Also, If you go to Yardman.ca and enter the model number you can download the manual. that may help

4. FIXDISS

FIXDISS LawnSite Senior Member

Post model and serial #'s for better responses. If this is a variable speed trans-axle then it has 2 belts. One from the engine to a jack-shaft with a dual pulley.Then one from the dual pulley to the input shaft . Check both belts and make sure neither is broken or that no idlers or springs are out of place.

5. apples017

Post model and serial #'s for better responses. If this is a variable speed trans-axle then it has 2 belts. One from the engine to a jack-shaft with a dual pulley.Then one from the dual pulley to the input shaft . Check both belts and make sure neither is broken or that no idlers or springs are out of place.

This might be it. Then would the belt for the blades go from engine shaft to deck? because i'm 95% sure it does.

lot/model mfg date
    139-685 662-E229H

6. apples017

Okay I have removed the two drive belts, one front and one rear.

There are two cracks in the first belt that go all the way through and are only held together by about 1/8".

I have two idle pulleys which I suspect are the ones that have been causing that rattling noise, much like when a throw out bearing goes in a cars gearbox.

And I need new needle roller bearings for the top and bottom of that varispeed pulley device.

Then I guess I'll put her all back together and see what happens.

7. DT Lawn Care

DT Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

If your belts have deep cracks/breaks in them, that is most likely your cause of vibration. I would replace the belts and try it before going as far as the pulleys.

8. apples017

I think the idle bearing must be shot as they spin very freely, and they do have backlash/slop in them. I can wobble them left and right.

Amd when I spin them vertically (this way O) they are not too loud. Then If I turn it over so that it is horizontal , like how it is installed in the mower it is much louder.

Can anyone help me find a manual for this old girl? I will add some photos of the model number sticker etc. I could not find the manual at the mtd site.

yardman 38 cut.jpg

Yardman model number photo.jpg

9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Omg, yeah....

I'd throw that in the garbage and start saving for a real mower.

10. apples017

LOL, that old girl has been in the family since the stone age.

I figure for 2 new belts and 2 pulleys it is worth reserrecting the old girl. Because it does a good clean cut on the lawn, better than the newer ride on that I have half ownership in with the inlaws. This cuts through the stringer type grass much better, and bags better.