Yards at low input stage

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by GreenthumbGA, Apr 24, 2008.

1. GreenthumbGA

GreenthumbGA LawnSite Member

How many of you orgo lawn junkies actually have achieved the 7% or better OM and have your micro's balanced out. HOw long did it take. What is your upkeep program.

Just checkin........

2. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

I just spoke to one outfit in Arkansas and their soils on one job just tested 0.17 SOM, They have some work to do, luckily his Dad has a pile of 2 an 3 year old manure hanging around that could be put to good use.

2% is a good start, 5 to 7 for some is hard to reach. I just got back from Chicago burbs where the SOM must be great because the fields are black, I mean black

3. GreenthumbGA

GreenthumbGA LawnSite Member

looking for some war stories

4. Organic a go go

Organic a go go LawnSite Member

I don't have any of my yards tested at 7% or better but I have several that I think would if I checked. The older lawns I get are usually in pretty good shape and don't need much in the way of extra work. They respond quickly to higher mowing. This is the black soil Bill is talking about.

The new construction lawns I deal with are a nightmare. Sod over rock.
    I doubt I'll live long enough to see those lawns at %7 or better.

5. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

well... one war story coming up,,,, we have this one area, called sky line ridge, its pure sand like a dune thats been washed off and cleaned, weeds dont grow there. we had it tested once just for a bet. it had so little of anything in it the guy thought it was hydroponic media!!!we start off this yard that the president of the more money than brains club owns, and he wants some real nice exotic plants, not the care free natives no this joker wants Eden in the desert. so we call the local "farms and get mulch manure and some "top soil" that a pool guys dumping and spread it all over the yard. with a bob cat and dozer, next we tilled? it with an excavator, dig drop dig drop all day long. not a pick up full no sir we had 8 20 yard dumpsters dumped, a freakin mountain of crap literally. so after the soil amendment we carefully hand rake and add tea and AM run the pipes and landscape this nite mare. then we test,,,,, and the darn thing was at 6 and we shot holes in the roof celebrating, champagne and BBQ, fire works after, the band played, sky writers flew, the town had a parade.

and 4 years later it still looks great, with tea every month and top dressed 3 times per year with 1/4 inch of top shelf compost and some alfalfa. hes out of town all Summer,so we break out the clover and go nuts with it in the lawn, he never sees it when the clover is going strong. and he is very happy to"let us his garden all summer"so we grow food there almost all year. when he does show up he has a garden like Martha Stewart, "hey every one look at my garden" like hes been there all year sweating.

eh pays some bills and is a nice yard to send prospects to see my work.