yards of material

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Abes, Mar 29, 2008.

1. Abes

Abes LawnSite Member
    from MN

Does anybody know how many yards of material (mulch,dirt etc) I can fit into the bed of my pickup?? I have a 1999 Chevy K2500 4x4 OBS reg cab long bed. I am guessing 2-3 right now. I know the F550 dump I use at work can take 5 yards 6 with a tarp.

Thanks!

2. OSCLandscaping

OSCLandscaping LawnSite Member

2 yds mounded, mulch would be O.K., loam, dirt, you'll probably destroy your truck.:)

3. Abes

Abes LawnSite Member
    from MN

Thanks for the quick reply!! All this warm weather has got me thinking about landscaping season already. In the 1 year Ive had this truck It has never sagged more than a couple inches I think it is up to the task of a heavy load. The last heavy load I had was probly 3-4 thousand pounds of scrap metal the load was higher than the truck.

4. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

put 2 yards of wet loam in it you will see a sag

5. Abes

Abes LawnSite Member
    from MN

Any idea of what 1 yard of soil/loam weighs?

And while were talking about it how many ton(s) of a material like rock/gravel/sand/salt can a K2500 handle safely? its the heavier duty K2500 with the 8600 gvwr. I dont have a problem making multiple trips if the load is really heavy but at the same time i like to be as productive as possible.

6. PSUturf

PSUturf LawnSite Senior Member

You just answered your question when you said it was 8600 lbs gvwr.

7. BeautifulBlooms

BeautifulBlooms LawnSite Senior Member

1 yard of soil i believe can be anywhere from 1500-2000 lbs depending on moisture content

i have asked what 1 yard of mulch weighs and I am sure it has to be half of soil so maybe 1000-1500 depending on moisture?

Are we taking hauling capacity or are we talking total volume of the bed? Big difference.

8. Abes

Abes LawnSite Member
    from MN

Well I would really like to better understand both. I know I will be able to haul a bigger volume of mulch than say rock or class 5 gravel.

9. Abes

Abes LawnSite Member
    from MN

well i picked up 2 yards of mulch today and it was almost completely flush with the top of the bed rails when i leveled it out. looking from the side it doesnt even look like it has a load in it.

10. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

Good, now now what you want to do is fork it back out of the truck and pick up a check