Yards Offered By Other LCO

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Infinite, Apr 2, 2005.

1. Infinite

Infinite LawnSite Member

This is my first year being a business owner. I have a few yards and a few landscaping jobs. Well today I got another call from a guy near me that owns a small Lawn Care business of about 20 yards total, and he remembered from coaching me on a baseball team in the past. Anyhow he said he saw my business card somewhere and said he'd like to give me 6-8 of his yards and any landscaping jobs he gets asked to do because he likes to do nice things for people and wants to downsize because he is getting older (62). Has this happened to any of you ever?

2. DeWitt Lawncare

DeWitt Lawncare LawnSite Member

that sure was nice of that guy. Remember that! Maybe you should do something nice for someone else in return.

Hey, they should make a movie about that kind of thing. :D

Hell, why don't we all do something nice for somebody else tomorrow!

3. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

No, can't say I've been that lucky. That will definatly be a good boost for you.

4. Sky King

Sky King LawnSite Member

O.K. So I am really new, What is LCO??

5. Infinite

Infinite LawnSite Member

LCO=Lawn Care Owner

Yes, it will be a good boost for me I guess I'm just pretty lucky. Maybe I should do something for a nice price or free for someone else to do my good deed.

6. Watkinslawnservice

Watkinslawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

How about giving the nice fellow a gift certificate to a nice restaraunt to show your appreciation? That's probably what I would do. Good luck, that was an awesome gift.

Dave

7. AEW

AEW LawnSite Member

that was really cool...I'd be sure the new people are not pain in the butts then give him a gift certificate or something nice.

8. tjgray

tjgray LawnSite Senior Member

Surely all of them wont be PITA's send him the gift certificate anyway and remember what comes around goes around :)

Our main sub-contracter sent us a poison ivy removal referral last November that turned out to be a $2000 job that kept us busy into December....sometimes things just work out for the best :)

9. Patrick.B

Patrick.B LawnSite Senior Member

Hey ....would you give him my business card ? :blob3: LOL That was nice of him and No Never happen to me ... :waving:

10. greywynd

greywynd LawnSite Member

A friend of mine used to do some snow removal, a few residential jobs with a small walk behind snowblower. Last summer he was approached by an older local felow, he sort of knew who he was, that was about it. The older fellow asked him if he could spare an hour or so, and proceeded to give him a bit of a tour around the small town where these 2 live. The tour was of all the commercial snow removal accounts the older fellow had. At the end, he asked my friend "Do you want these accounts? Think about it a few days, and let me know." The older fellow was keeping his truck (his plow truck and plow) to do his own place still, and even offered to fill in as a backup if absolutely necessary. As my friend lived right in town, he made some inquiries, went to the bank, found that with the 'accounts' he could borrow the money. Ended up buying a skid steer with a snow bucket, just drives it around town.
    The older fellow was wanting to retire, gave my friends the accounts on the condition that he strived to keep his customers happy. (Which he has done, at least for the first year)

I know myself that I have a few 'clients' that I give breaks to, because they have brought in other business for me.