Yards = Tons ???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Greenkeepers, Apr 24, 2000.

1. Greenkeepers

Greenkeepers LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE Ohio

Hey All-<p>I'm in a debate here with some suppliers. I have always figured one yard = 1.65 tons. For instance to cover an area that needs 10 yards of material, that area would need 16.5 tons to cover the same area. Is this the way that you all do it?? My formula is <br>(length x width)/27 x .33(4 inches) = the number of yards. Then I take that number of yards times 1.65 to figure the amount of tons that I'll need.<p>Thanks for the help<p>Mike<br>Greenkeepers

2. DMC300

DMC300 LawnSite Senior Member

ARE YOU TALKING FILL?LIME?LIMEROCK?MULCH?COTTON?THEY ALL HAVE DIFF. WEIGHTS.<p>----------<br>DON<br>LIANNES' MOWING

3. Greenkeepers

from NE Ohio

Don-<p>The situation that I'm in is for topsoil.. I measured it out at 3700 square feet and I figured that into yards at 6&quot; thick and came up with about 69 yards. I multiplied that by 1.65 and came up with 114 tons for that same area..<p>

4. DMC300

DMC300 LawnSite Senior Member

1.65YARD PER TON FOR TOPSOIL SOUNDS A LITTLE MORE LIKE IT,AT LEAST THAT WOULD BE MY GUESS.DO YOU HAVE IT MIXED UP MAYBE?WHEN I ORDER LIMEROCK FOR ROADS I FIGURE 1.25 YARDS PER TON AND IT IS HEAVIER (wet)than the soil. <p>----------<br>DON<br>LIANNES' MOWING

5. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

I'm just curious, but if you know the volume of topsoil needed for the job, why do you need the conversion to tons?<p>GEO

6. Greenkeepers

from NE Ohio

GEO-<p>Some suppliers only want to sell it by the ton and not the yard. That's why I'm trying to figure this out. I need to see what prices are comparable!!

7. Lazer

Lazer LawnSite Bronze Member

A yard of topsoil weighs more than 1 ton. Moisture content will determine exact weight.<p>

8. cjcland

cjcland LawnSite Senior Member

i wish i could sell mulch by weight i guaruntee it would be kept soaking in a swimming pool:)<p>----------<br>CJC Landscape Management<br>Winter Haven, Florida