Yards with Alot of Rocks..what would be the best mower to use ?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by arborist-28, Jul 29, 2005.

1. arborist-28

arborist-28 LawnSite Member

I have a couple of yards with a ton of huge rocks sticking out all over the place..I wanted to get some opinions on the strongest mower to use in this situation ..I've had numerous problems with my mowers hitting the rocks..doin alot of damage and ruining my equipment..I am to the point where I just want to roundup the entire yard and be done with it .. any suggestions?? .. these are huge rocks some 600-800 pounds..not movable ... just hitting one rock can ruin blades, shafts, bearings, etc... this has been a real pain ... can anyone offer there opinion on this ? thanks for your time ...c

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

The best solution is drop those two lawns and pick up two more to take their place (without rocks) !

3. leadarrows

leadarrows LawnSite Senior Member
    from N/A

Portable electric fence and five or six sheep.

I hope your kidding. No way your hitting rocks that size with a mower. Unless only a small portion is sticking up. Then I say fill dirt. Just bury the whole mess and start over.

4. arborist-28

in these two yards the rocks have been filled around yes .. but the top portions of the rocks stand up about +2-3 inches ... I like the idea about dropping the yards...lol .. I have suggest fill dirt but I would need about 60 yards of top soil mimimum ...actually the one yard has more rocks then grass really.. I'm thinking about just weed eating the whole dang yard ..

5. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

I've got it; :cool2: If you insist on keeping these lawns get you one of those 4 cycle hi-wheel walk behind line trimmers, It will give you a more uniform cut with nothing to carry around.

6. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

sell the 60 yrds of top soil, the customer wont pay for your equipment,
    bottom line customer agrees to fix the lawn or you get smart & drop the lawn.
    I dropped 3 lawns this year due to rocks & crap all over the lawn, no pay for clean up, no mow.
    or go garage saleing and buy a cheap mower just for the abuse you intend to dish out.
    or you could rent a mini hoe and remove them.
    I would walk away. no make that, I would RUN away, fast. :D

7. GroveSTCop

GroveSTCop LawnSite Member

Well if worst comes to worst you can always just use the weedeader.

8. arborist-28

Hey ..thanks for the excellent replys .. I am am thinking about getting a dr trimmer or something along the lines of that ...never thought of that til now .. I have alot of uses for besides the yards mentioned and a machine like that always comes in handy on the farm :) ... c

9. evan price

evan price LawnSite Member

A flail mower works great for those.

10. apexlawn03

apexlawn03 LawnSite Member

A stone rake and removal of rocks.