Yazoo/Kees midmounts - who really makes them?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by landcruiser, Oct 13, 2003.

1. landcruiser

landcruiser LawnSite Member
    from Tx

I am looking at a used Yazoo/Kees 61"/25hp Kohler midmount. Who made this mower for them or is it really their own product? It seems like I've heard they have been bought out and don't even exist anymore, is this correct? If so, is the same mower still being made under a different name so that I still may be able to get parts? Are these mowers reliable as far as the drivetrain/deck setup? It is 3-4 years old, was Kohler still having problems with the 25hp engne then? I am trying to collect as much info as possible before deciding to buy.

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

I can tell you Y/K is still alive and well.....
    But...they were bought by Husky....they are still producing units under the Y/K name and they also produce units in the Husy name also..
    Parts should not be a problem, this company has been around a long time.

3. landcruiser

from Tx

Thanks mowerconsultant. What hydro setup does this 61" YK use? Is it similar to what some other manufacturers use or some oddball stuff? Are the spindles greaseable or sealed? I just wonder about the overall serviceability, durability of this unit compared to others.

4. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

As far as I know they use the same system most mfg's use.
    I am not sure on any of your other questions.
    There are a few Y/K owners on this forum, they can answer your questions better than I can.

Later
    Pj

5. Blue Ribbon Turf

Blue Ribbon Turf LawnSite Member

Hey Land:
    I have a 61" Yazoo with a 25 h Kohler. I bought it in March and have used it all season. I have had no problems with it and would buy another in a second. They only thing is on hills or slopes just a little scary.

6. landcruiser

from Tx

Thanks Blue Ribbon Turf.

7. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

I have a 99 Y/K 61". It now has about 1900 hours on it and it has been pretty trouble free. One Mule Drive belt, one deck belt, one spindle, one clutch, and a couple sets of back tires. I did have to replace the hydro cooler and one hose earlier this year and it could use another spindle now. But that is about it and that makes it one of my most trouble free mowers I have ever owned :)