Yazoo/Kees quality, price, durability? Deal?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Shannon Keller, Aug 15, 2006.

1. Shannon Keller

Shannon Keller LawnSite Member

I found a dealer that is looking to unload 3 Yazoo/kees for what he say is only $200 above his cost. They are Midmax's with 21hp Kawasaki's and 52'' deck. He's
    asking $5700. I would like to know if this is a good buy, or is he just blowing smoke. I have no experience with Yazoo, so any input would be helpful.

2. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

ohhhhh nooooo.....here comes ENVY :laugh:

3. Shannon Keller

Shannon Keller LawnSite Member

BTW, they are $5700 each, new 2005, they've only seen sun and concrete.

4. ThirdDay

ThirdDay LawnSite Senior Member

Envy will tear Yazoo/Kees and Husqvarna apart as he had bad experiences with them.

Our history with Yazoo/Kees is fairly short (1 year) but we love our 52" 21 HP Mid Max mowers! We have 2 of them and they cut great and have been trouble free. Good dealer support is a huge key and we have 2 awesome Kees dealers in our area now.

BTW..we paid $5800 each for our units and the dealer through in the suspension seats!

5. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I own a ZTMax 52" back when it was just FD Kees. Its a great mower and still is. The only ongoing problem I have with this mower, is the spindles. The sealed bearing set up doesnt last long at all. But I converted mine to greaseable and seem to be doing alot better. Other than that, its a good quality mower. Will I buy another? NO there are no dealers around me who sells them. Its either eXmark, Hustler or Chopper that Ive seen so far.

6. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Yup.... :gunsfirin

OK... first of all, Y/K used to carry a large price tag around here, I guess due to lack of competition of other Y/K dealers or other brands for that matter. But in the past few years I have noticed a dramatic decline in prices.

In checking it out I have found the dealers get them pretty cheap and had been making an extra margin on them above the normal margin. $5,700 is about normal price for the 23hp 52"... so your dealer is BS'n you.

All things aside, I would not consider them to begin with because the 21hp Kawi running a 52" rider is an azz-9 combination to begin with. Not NEAR enough power. My 21hp 48" Yazoo struggled a lot unless it was easy cutting in side discharge mode only. You could slow it easily and it NEVER did better than 1.25 gallons per hour... EVER. Most of the time it was around 1.5 gal/hr or more. A lot of these units also did not have canister air filtration... and I will not own another Kawasaki without it. PERIOD.

I say all this without ever even getting into my... and many others experiences with Yazoo/Kees-Husqvarna products, services and parts.

I've ran into a very few commercial operators and homeowners who have had OK luck with their units. But in the grand scheme of things, I find these people have just been lucky.

The rest of us have found that the quality is really bad and when you break the parts take forever, the factory support is non-existant and the warranty isn't worth the paper it's written on. Just facts.

If you can't afford to get into the $6,300-$6,900 price range for a Lesco Ztwo... go have a look at that promotional 48" Scag Tiger Cub with the 24hp Briggs for $5,999. MUCH BETTER CHOICE WELL WORTH THE 2 BILLS.

[​IMG]

BadBoy also offers a 23hp 48" for $5,795... which I can't speak for one way or the other. But anything is better than the chance you take with Yazoo... can't be worse.

[​IMG]

7. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

I don't know they have 21 hp with 52"...and no donalson filter? Old fashioned model for $5700 +tax?
    I would suggest you to run like baba gump. BTW, Yazoo or whatever is eaten up by fierce competitors like Toro, JD, Hustler, Scag, DC, and Gravely, down here in my town.

8. Green King

Green King LawnSite Senior Member

Encore Extreme 48" 19hp kawasaki with commercial air filter $5999.

9. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I would do like MTR says. Down here there is 1 dealer in central Florida that I know of. When Husky bought them, they sold alot. But now its yazo/kees there not very popular. Get 1 of the more popular brands. eXmark is probably the most popular of them all.

10. Idealtim

Idealtim LawnSite Senior Member

5700$ is alot annd like envy said, your better off with the scag. Scag is extremely durable.