Yazoo/Kees wont start! Please help

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by KillaWhale, Feb 26, 2006.

1. KillaWhale

KillaWhale LawnSite Member

I have a Yazoo/Kees with a Kaw FC420c. It will not start and acts like it is getting no spark. Any suggestions guys?

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Take the spark plug out and put it back in the wire boot and hold the metal of the plug to the head and crank watching the plug for a spark. This must be confirmed before going any further.

Also is it getting full choke (choke plate closing fully) ?

3. KillaWhale

I did the spark plug trial and no spark. It is also fully choked. So where I go from here. I took everything apart and found the coil and ring rusty. Cleaned off rust and still nothing. Thanks for all the help guys. I really can not afford a new mower right now.

4. Restrorob

There should be a smaller wire coming out of the coil, This is the kill wire disconnect it and check for spark again. If still no spark replace the coil, Use any standard business card to adjust the gap between the coil and flywheel.
    If there is spark you need to check the kill switch.

5. KillaWhale

Thanks restrorob. I will try it in the morning.

6. KillaWhale

Restorob
    It will carank with the kill plug removed. I am going to hunt down kill switch problem. Thanks for your help.

7. Restrorob

No Problem :waving:

8. KillaWhale

Hooked kill switch back up and nothing. What could be causing the problem. Thanks again

9. Restrorob

Did you check the kill switch with a multimeter set on ohms ?
    Is this unit self propelled ? Some of these units had operator presence switches on the handle so in the event the operator tripped and fell the switch would trip and kill the engine. It's got to be a kill switch or possibly the kill wire to the switch shorted to the frame somewhere If it runs fine with the wire disconnected.