Yazoo Rider model YR42

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by RedWolf, Apr 21, 2006.

1. RedWolf

RedWolf Banned

Hey guys.I got a old yazoo rider.It has two handels one for hi low and the other for forward and reverse.I need to know how to ajust the tranny.Its sayin some thing about a spring and whatnot but its not a hydro.it uses a chain to turn the rear wheel and thats what steers it.

2. oldrustycars

oldrustycars LawnSite Senior Member

cant help you, and if no one else can, try www.ytmag.com its just for old tractors, and has a garden tractor forum. and many of you will enjoy the "stuck and troubled" pics on that site.

3. BareFoot1

BareFoot1 LawnSite Member

I have severel of these which are sitting now. Good machines.
    Trans adj as follows for mechanical trans.
    Remove small flat metal plug just inboard of the drive pully to the trans.
    CHECK SEAL! rain will get into trans and trash it. USE 40WT non detergent oil as recommended by Yazoo.

Using a dental pick or similar instrument, lift carefully and DO NOT Break the small silver lock spring that prevents the adjustment wheel from turning, then using a screw driver, turn the small wheel approx 3 notches on the spring locater at a time and then push into fwd or reverse, depending on which is slipping "which is what i assume is your problem".
    At this time you should notice that there is an "override" feeling to the fwd and reverse lever, this is right at the end of the travel. The force required to lock into fwd or rev should be approx 3 to 7 lbs if the linkage is free. After it overcenters, it should be locked in gear and the pully will turn the tires.
    The adjuster controls a set of washers and fibre disks that constitute the fwd and rev clutches. Over pressure is annoying and hard on the shift linkage and too loose will promote slipping.

Mine all have the AGND Wisconsin on them except for one 16 hp briggs unit.
    If this machine has been down a long time you need to check for water in the bottom of the trans and fix it and poss replace the gasket on the access plug to insure no water in future. These machines are extremely durable tools and a pretty good option for a cheap ZTR. It will spin the inside tire if you corner too quickly. I for one leave mine in fwd and stay in one gear to reduce the number of clutch activations. I dont use this for lawn striping just mowing.

I hope this helps you. you may IM me on my listed number.

BareFoot1

4. RedWolf

RedWolf Banned

Thanks Barefoot.It fixed the prob i was having.It would slip going up the ramp on the trailer and up a grade.Mine I got from a friends father and had been sitting in there shop because it was hard to start.I work on my own stuff and found that the head gasket was blown.put a new one on and the old girl fires right up.I think it had the wisconsin on it and someone changed it out with a one banger 16 hp briggs.I work on the old wisconsin BKN ACN TDD AND VH4D engines.Its a little hobby of mine.Oh if you need mag parts let me know.All the wisconsins i work on have mags on them.Hell my old kut kwick two wheeled brushcutter has the old AENLD wisconsin with a mag.she can be a bear to start but once running you cant kill it.Can you still get replacement parts from them old yazoos?

5. crawford_darrel

crawford_darrel LawnSite Member
    from NE Iowa

I had a 42" & a 76" machine years ago. The toughest machine ever. Very easy to fix and keep running and you can find common parts at any repair shop. I am now cleaning out parts shelves and selling them on Ebay now and in near future. Good luck!

6. ratchet4

ratchet4 LawnSite Member

Mr.Crawford do you happen to know what model briggs was used on an early to mid 70's yr 42 yazoo?

7. crawford_d

crawford_d LawnSite Member

No I'm sorry I don't remember what it was. I think it was a single cylinder but other then that I don't know, sorry.