Yazoo rider

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by RedWolf, Mar 2, 2006.

1. RedWolf

RedWolf Banned

Hey guys.I had a friend give me a old yazoo rider.It has three wheels and the one in the back stears it.Its a 1970 and has a 16 hp briggs.The motor,tranny and deck work fine.It needs two drive tires and a good sandblasting and paint job.What I would like to ask is,Is it worth the time to paint it and use it seeing as its 30 something years old?

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

They just don't make machines that heavy anymore, If everything still works fine I would go for it, One of my commercial customers has one. He bought 2 new Dixie's from us and still wont give up his old Yazoo he uses it as his backup. (Not that he needs one).

3. RedWolf

RedWolf Banned

Well i mounted the tires and tryed it out.it works great but the tranny slips alittle.what can i do to keep it from slipin?the belt to the tranny is tight.

4. Restrorob

I am not very familiar with these units, But you may try changing the fluid and filter and make sure the dump valve is closed completely. Other than that I'm not much help on this one.

5. RedWolf

RedWolf Banned

Hey Rob I have a problem.the starter is hangin up.It has a steel gear on the starter and its not meshing with the ring gear on the flywheel.what can i do? engine model 326437 type 0318-01 code 7906201 thanks for any help you can give me.

6. Restrorob

If the gear is hanging up and not popping up into the flywheel you need to replace the drive clutch, And while you have the starter out clean and lube the armature bushings with some oil before re-installing.

Part Number: 692024
    CLUTCH-DRIVE
    US$ 12.60

Attached Files:

7. RedWolf

RedWolf Banned

the thing is it is poping into the flywheel but the teeth bind up.the starter gear tooth hits the next tooth on the ring gear

8. RedWolf

RedWolf Banned

ill have to make a run to the repair shop and try another gear

9. Restrorob

If thats the case sounds like somebody has put the wrong gear on the starter. You can replace just the gear if it moves freely on the clutch if not the whole drive assembly will need replacing.

This is the proper gear. Part Number: 695708
    GEAR-PINION
    US$ 4.85

This is the whole assembly. Part Number: 696535
    DRIVE-STARTER
    US$ 18.50

Try the gear in the flywheel before installing on the starter, It's possible somebody replaced the flywheel ring gear with the wrong one.

10. RedWolf

RedWolf Banned

The new gear worked.now when i gave the guy the numbers for the motor at the shop he said oh well i cant get parts for that motor anymore.Now when i gave him the part number he said oh thats for your other more and got me the gear.I think its time to find a shop that knows what the fu** they are doing.hell they had my dixon for over two weeks and all it needed was two new belts and and PM.TWO WEEKS?I would have done it myself but i didnt have the time.that shop is a joke.