Year One

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by monkey9197, Mar 16, 2004.

1. monkey9197

monkey9197 LawnSite Member
    from NY

IVE BEEN READING THIS SITE FOR LIKE A MONTH and decided to fiunally register and talk. i just started new company with a partner we both worked for other people before and now are doing it ourself. we have almost 20 definites and couple more unsures and still got 2 weeks of flyers to hand out before we start.our only means of advertising is door to door flyers we handed out maybe 1500 already. so how many clients are good for teh first year? my parteners brother in law been landscaping for years so he gives us all the guidance needed. all our equipmeent it paid off no debt or anything. everything looks nice as of now and just wanted to introduce myself haha

2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

welcome to the site. The number of clients is often deceiving. For example, you could have 2 clients that bring you in $50,000. or you could have 20 clients that bring you in $50,000. So you should not go by the number of clients, but the numbers involved with those clients.

3. swim

swim LawnSite Senior Member

Hello monkey and welcome to LS.

A little more information would be in order as well to help get a better #. How big is your equipment? What are you going to be doing?

4. monkey9197

from NY

all we are mainly doing is cleanups, mowing etc. , fertilization most people want scotts 5 step, gutter cleaning. nothing fancy residential areas are all we are aiming at. did a removal already. big things like large trees, and dificult projects we send to the brother in law because we are just doing this part time now till it gets large enough for full time operations.

5. swim

swim LawnSite Senior Member

You did not comment on what size your mowers are and also whaat are the size of most lawns where you will be cutting?

6. monkey9197

from NY

we where going to get the larger ones 36 inchers maybe. but decided we dont need it yet. so we are getting 2 smaller self propelled ones because we would need them no nmatter what. all the houses are realatively small dont know exact sizes but they are real real small. no corners. and its out neighborhood every house is within a 3 min drive. our goal was only about 20-30 houses this year and even if we got 5 we wouldnt mind. we are in no rush its all on the side for now. all money is putting start up cost money back in our pockets and of course to buy the larger mowers for next season. we working for the long run we are young and have other money coming in

7. tedk

tedk LawnSite Member

It sounds like all of your equipment is not paid for yet.

How could you possibly have set up a price for lawns that you don't know the size of?

8. charlies

charlies LawnSite Senior Member
    from earth

do you have a license to use pesticides commercially? if not, you may want to look in on the legality of putting down fertilizer on your customers' lawn.

9. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

Question monkey,
    When you say definites....do you mean customers who have signed service agreements or people who promise that they want your services? I'm not being a di**, but I want you to be aware of how people can work.

10. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

How could you possibly have set up a price for lawns that you don't know the size of? [/B][/QUOTE] Do you actually measure your lawns? I have only measured one once. And it was a lawn i already take care of. I did it to compare for another big estimate. I just go and look, and have my price.