Yearly Contract Scenario I Need Help With

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by budrock, Jul 12, 2004.

1. budrock

budrock LawnSite Member

Suppose you're 20 cuts into a yearly contract signed for 36 cuts when the client sells his home. Its paid out monthly for 12 months. You had allowed $50 per cut x 36 is $1800/12 months = $150 per month. Per cut price would have been $1000 after 20 cuts but with the contract you've only received $750. How do you word the contract to protect yourself and recover the other $250 in case something like this happens? Thanks in advance!

2. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

That's one reason I don't use that setup.

3. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

Cancellation:

Either party may terminate this agreement at any time with a 15 day advance written notice. Cancellation date will be 15 days after such notice is received. In the event of cancellation, the client will be responsible for all costs of services rendered up to the cancellation date. A final invoice will be sent to the client 15 days after notification for balance due.

Hope this helps...

4. matthew horner

matthew horner LawnSite Senior Member

Lawn scapes. That still leaves him short. I have contracts like this, and just bank on my character judgment of those whom I work for. You'll get screwed, but try to keep it minimal.

Matt
    PS my contracts allow that services will continue and fees will be collected 30 days after cancellation by either party.

Nobody has walked away from one of my contracts yet.

5. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

How does it leave you short if... the client will be responsible for all costs of services rendered up to the cancellation date?

6. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

Matthew, and Lawn scapes, Where did you guy's acquire the contracts that ya'll use? Are they like the pre made ones at Office Depot, or did you guys consult with an attorney to make them up? I really need to have a "standard" contract, especially as I'm bidding on some Commercial accts. Please help I really am kind of clueless about this matter myself..

7. matthew horner

matthew horner LawnSite Senior Member

I did'nt say it leaves me short. I said it leaves him short, per his post.

I wrote my contract from excerpts from other contract samples I read all over the place. It changes a little bit each time I print a new one. The basic template is always there, but I just add the different names and conditions.

I had a landlord change HER contract for her tenants because my contract said that they have to have hoses etc out of the lawn or I am not liable for damage. Things like this really help you out. Also put something in there about your resonable descretion as to when and at what intensity you service.

Matt

8. txlawnking

Thank you... I needed that.

9. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

If lawsuit or other proceeding arises from a dispute over any terms of this agreement or its performance, the losing party will pay the winning party all the cost it causes the winning party to incur, including reasonable attorney fees at any court level. Law of the state where it was made will govern this agreement. If a court holds that any of its terms is invalid or unenforceable, the rest of the agreement will continue in full force and effect.

Upon Cancellation Compensation for All Services will be pro-rated in conjunction with the work performed between First & Last Day of Service Agreement as Related to the "per visit cost"

10. txlawnking

That was even better!!LOL Keep em' coming..