1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Yearly Contracts (when to renew?)

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by greenturfde, Nov 10, 2007.

1. greenturfde

greenturfde LawnSite Member

Hello everyone, i'm kinda new to posting on here but have been reading and gaining knowledge from this site for over a year now. Thanks to all..

When do most of you guys renew contracts for the upcoming year? this year i started offering full estate property management and didn't know when they should run from... Jan-dec? March-Feb? no snow removal is offered just fert applications, mulch, weekly maintenance...

another question: I have prolandscape 13 and have designed a few landscapes only to have the prospective owner see the plan then decide to go a different route. Do you charge for the design reguardless or take your chances? thanks in advance

2. greenturfde

greenturfde LawnSite Member

No one has a suggestion on this topic? c'mon
  3. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

Sending out contracts depends on where you live. In this area they most often get sent out around February or March. Hope this helps!!!
  4. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

I do not do maint. anymore but I would never have a contract end in the fall or winter.Only the spring or early summer.
  5. tjsquickcuts

tjsquickcuts LawnSite Senior Member
    from Atlanta

We have everyone from the previous season resign in December. This way, we can get a great idea on our projected number of accounts needed. This gives me and my accounts peace of mind, and they dont have to worry about trying to find a LCO. Plus we offer incentives, and the renew contract is included with their post season letter, lawn and landscape analysis along with recommendations, and their christmas gifts. I am sure many are against the idea of the new contract with the christmas gift, but I think its a unique marketing approach.
  6. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

If the contract expires in the winter people will often wait a few months till spring gets here before resigning.

All areas and customers are different and it was just something I found to be true were I was cutting.
    But if you have good customers it will not matter when the contract is resigned.
  7. NewHorizon's Land

NewHorizon's Land LawnSite Senior Member

One thing to think about is when do you do work on their lawn? If you start doing stuff in Feb such as clean ups then I would run it Feb- Jan and send the renewal letters end of Dec beginning of Jan. If its not til March then go from March til Feb. This is my two cents.

8. shane mapes

shane mapes LawnSite Senior Member

what i do is i have my current customers sigh again when their old contract ends. so if the start up 07/12/2007 then i rewrite it and ask them to re sigh in the beginning of July or what ever month it is ...new customers sigh on the date we start and then one year from then it starts over.