Yearly Contracts...?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by dewos, Feb 12, 2007.

1. dewos

dewos LawnSite Member

I have been in cutting lawns since I was 14 but nothing big didn't even make enough to really take out taxes. But now I am working on building my business and I was wondering how to start up yearly contracts does anyone have one I could look at or go by? Also I am not sure how to start up the tax ID number also because I want to star getting serious about my business. I mostly only have been cutting my neighbors houses. But this year I have the truck and the trailer and am going full swing. What did you guys do for taxes and such when you started? And how many lawns do you think I can handle with 2 people running with a z and 2push with 2 weed whackers? I was looking to get as big as possible figuring that I could just higher help if I Need.

2. Steve's Mow & Trim

Steve's Mow & Trim LawnSite Member

you don't need anyone else.....build you business slow, do it yourself, higher on people when you get so big you can't possibly do it all yourself, and most of all advertise like there is no tomorrow, be in salesman mode 24-7

3. dewos

dewos LawnSite Member

Well normally i wouldn't need help but i am in college and I need someone to take over my company for the 3 months that I am away at college. My college is 3 hours away. Any more advice?

4. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

2 man crew 75-100 a week easy. Pay taxes (estimated) quarterly If you get paid cash it doesn't go on the books. Advertise but do it smart, I paid over $800 last summer for a 15 line ad everyday for 6 months and barely made enough to cover it, tried a free paper that cost $70 a month and made a killing cause I was the only one it. Letter your truck trailer, do shirts all that good stuff to look professional.

5. Slcareco

Slcareco LawnSite Senior Member

Anyone with "service agreements" to look at like he said?

6. dewos

dewos LawnSite Member

Thanks For the Great advice.. I mostly go door to door advertising and in local newspapers. Would you trust someone to run your business when you are away or would you try and sub contract? What do you think?

7. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

If they buy into half the business like a partnership then yes. Problem subs is they may steal your customers.

8. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

The SBA and most Sate websites have a great outline on what is needed.

http://www.sba.gov/smallbusinessplanner/start/chooseastructure/index.html

http://www.sba.gov/smallbusinessplanner/start/getlicensesandpermits/index.html

9. evergreenedmond

evergreenedmond LawnSite Senior Member

I have an excel file that i think will help but I can't get it to upload. I tried to PM you and it looks like you have it turned off.

10. Slcareco

Slcareco LawnSite Senior Member

Oh man I have a pit that looks exactly like that!!!! Her name is Zeena! Nice dog man