Yearly fertilization/weed& grub control schedule

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by kcdude, Jun 19, 2008.

1. kcdude

kcdude LawnSite Member

I need some recommendations on a yearly fertilization/weed& grub control schedule. Property is in Kansas, fescue/bluegrass mix, spinklers installed...and no I am not a pro just a homeowner that wants to learn what is appropriate.

Recommendation from local company are 6 Applications total: 1st early spring around Mar.15, 2nd late spring right May. 1, 3rd and 4th are put on the same time which is 14-0-14 fertilizer and Mach2 grub control, 5th is put applied end of summer and it is high in nitrogen to help recover from summer heat and stress. Final (6th) is put down late fall 45-0-0 pure Urea.

Does this sound reasonable? Can someone elaborate on what specifically should be used for each application. Can I do this myself with readily accessible materials (granular w/ broadcast spreader, Lowes/HD or other)?

2. jkason

jkason LawnSite Senior Member

I just changed from the Agway 4-step program to the Scott's 4-stage program on my lawn, and not a weed - not one - has come in this year.

I also put down a granular tick control (I've got a dog) 3 times a year.

Whatever you get, READ THE DIRECTIONS ON THE BAG and just let whatever a salesman tells you go in one ear and out the other.

EDIT - Yes, I did the application myself. Broadcast spreader. My lawn is small though (less than 5,000 sq. ft.).