Yellow And Thin

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by thfireman, Nov 17, 2003.

1. thfireman

thfireman LawnSite Senior Member

Can anyone offer any suggestions on how to deal with this problem. The grass is in sandy loom soil around trees. It seems that the trees are sucking all the moister out of the soil. Take a look at the photo and let me know what you think. Thanks!:confused:

dcp_4520 edit #2.jpg

2. thfireman

The problem should be obvious. The yellow areas are thin grass and will not green up. Here is another pic.

dcp_4521.jpg

3. thfireman

One more pic. It seems to have a running effect as if the problem flows down hill. There has been no chemical apps in the past 2 years around the trees.

dcp_4525.jpg

4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

What way is north on these pics,... or I guess it would be better asked what direction are the yellow ares from the trees?

5. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

How close are you cutting? May want to consider a higher cut.

6. floridalawncare

floridalawncare LawnSite Member

might be too much shade. could be a fertilizer or pesticide issue also. see if customer has regular pest control, if so they need to be more careful. i had the same thing to deal with, except along a fence. the exterminator would run his ztr boone sprayer along the fence, then back and forth giving the fence line a heavy dose of poison. well there was no ants, and not much grass either. it'd turn yellow and be very thin and limp, laying over most of time. just like you'd laid a piece plywood on the ground for a while blocking the sunlight.

7. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Mulch leaching?

Why doesn't the upper tree seem to be effected?

Certain trees up north do similar things the the ENTIRE drip line, but spotty runoff areas like yours I've never seen.

8. Mickhippy

Mickhippy LawnSite Platinum Member

I dont know what type of trees they are but it could be that there sucking nutrients and moisture from the soil like you suggest. Its starting to look like the bottom where it hasn't been fertilized. As far as I know, roots travel out as far as the drip line but I dont know why its only on one side? Maybe the roots are closer to the surface on the down side of the tree or is the lawn watered from the high side there fore the trunk maybe shielding so not letting the water getting there. Interesting!

9. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

Well is the bad spots are on the downhill side. It just means the roots are a little closer to the surface. I'm sure the roots on the good side run out as far as the drip line-just the same as the bad side. But because of the grading of the ground, those roots are just exposed/closer to the turf. Therefore closer to taking nutrients from the grass.

Just a thought, but it seems like the best to me. Also consider what type of grass it is, and how much light it needs. The only crap that'll grow in my front yard is St. Augustine, except now, there is Rye. But in the summer. Bermuda won't even grow. And it's too hot for Fescue.

10. floridalawncare

floridalawncare LawnSite Member

on your first pic it appears that there's an abundance of leaves on the ground the same side of the tree where the damage is. you can notice this by the tree the mower hasn't got to yet.