1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Yellow Area

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Lou Poco, Apr 29, 2005.

1. Lou Poco

Lou Poco LawnSite Member

I'm having a problem with a small area in my lawn, approximately 50 square feet in size. The area looks yellow and not growing very well. The remaining lawn looks beautiful, plush green color and growing strong. I switched fertilizer brand last year from Scotts to Lesco applying the late fall application and put down the dimension 3 weeks ago. Any suggestions/ideas on what is affecting this area or how to treat?
  2. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

Hard to say without grass types, and pics. those would be a big help. Is the grass totally dead or just yellow? Is it in a pattern? ANything unusual after this winter (snow mold etc?)
  3. Lou Poco

Lou Poco LawnSite Member

Grass is not dead, yet. The grass type is made up of mostly rye and Kentucky Blue. The yellowing is not in any set pattern, but last year in August the area next to it did die out and I reseeded. Didn't notice any snow mold during the winter and early spring, in fact, the area looked better 3 weeks ago before I put down the dimension.
  4. NAT

NAT LawnSite Member
    from Zone 7

Could be some poa dying out, i have never seen so much poa like this year.
  5. kickin sum grass

kickin sum grass LawnSite Senior Member

I just delt with a similar problem with a new customer. They reseeded this spot about 3x5 twice last year and fertilized the entire lawn the same all over. I was out to look at the lawn the other day and as we were trying to figure out the problem I took a spade and jamed it down into the problem area. Low and behold I dug out this huge rock about 1 inch under the soil line. I have also heard of full sheets of plywood being sodded over and the grass struggling in these areas.
    Just something to think about.