Yellow Book Ad or not?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Tombigbee, Jun 7, 2005.

1. Tombigbee

Tombigbee LawnSite Member

I was inquiring about if anybody had an ad in the yellow book...I never had one...I had always good clients thru world of mouth but some folks had told me they really increased there business with an ad in the yellow book....Any advice is appreciated!
  2. cleancutccl

cleancutccl LawnSite Senior Member

I've always heard that it is a waste of money, unless you need the extra write off expense I would not do it. I hear that it is good for getting lots of price shoppers.
  3. Pro-lawns

Pro-lawns LawnSite Member

I Have one its $49.00 a month just one mow a month pays for it
    the local news paper wants over 200 a month
  4. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

5. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

they cost hundreds and even thousands here, business studies have shown very low return from these ads..... many companies do surveys and ask where the customer hears of them, very few ever came from the yellow pages
  6. Tombigbee

Tombigbee LawnSite Member

Thanks for the insight!
  7. cochino12

cochino12 LawnSite Senior Member

I love my yellow page ad, worth every penny. I'm investing 2 times as much next year. Remember its all about the ad!! make sure it draws attention and dont forget a "call to action" and you'll do great. Why do you think you see the same companies year after year in the book? It's not because they loose money. There are better ways to find tax writeoffs.

Sure, not all of your customers will hear about you from the phone book BUT how many got your phone number there? Everyone here spends a lot of money on lettering etc.. which is great everyone knows your name when your truck drives by, how many of those people wrote down your number?
  8. Toy2

Toy2 LawnSite Bronze Member

Around here it appears if you don't have a phone book ad....then your a nobody.....the newspaper has been a joke, as well as inserts in the yellow page ad should be out in's gotta work...
  9. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Yellow Pages = The biggest waste of money on the planet over all. I have everything from just a Bold Listing to a Full Page Full Color ad at $1200 a month and they NEVER paid off so I dropped the Yellow Pages totally and went to door hangers and targeted mailers and have gained far more new clients each year that way.
  10. LightningLawns

LightningLawns LawnSite Senior Member

I have one out and it hasn't got me a bunch of calls but it has generated a few and I guess at 75.00/month its not that bad.