1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

yellow deck 54inch john deere

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Imp, Jul 17, 2006.

1. Imp

Imp LawnSite Member

Looked at one of these today hasnt ran in a few years needs some work asking 500 bucks ,when was this mower built? has a 14hp kaw on it..LMN Thanks:confused:
  2. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

Probably early 90's. Used to use a 430 that had a yellow 60 inch deck. Thing was a tank. Latter they came out with a cheap pressed deck that went on the models that replaced the 430, was a smaller size and could not take abuse well. Don't remeber the size in that one exactly, been too many years but that deck was manufactured in the 2000's.
  3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

These were late 80's to mid 90's. They had a crank on the deck to adjust the height that always wore out and wouldn't hold the height. Before these, JD used Bunton machines for their wb's (excellent machines). First the square front, then the pointed front that had the center spindle forward.
  4. DSLND

DSLND LawnSite Bronze Member

Last year when i was in the biz with a partner, we got a 54in 17hp Kawisaki Walk Behind for $700.00. It had about 1200 hours on it but it ran strong and we wanted it. We also got a deal on a bagger off ebay for $142.00. He ended up getting to keep the walk behind when we split but i got alot of other stuff but it was a good machine! I really liked it and wish i would of got it but u cant have it all. IMO there good machines and especially the Kawi. Engine! -Mitch-
  5. Imp

Imp LawnSite Member

I pulled on the pull cord and it turned over just making sure it wasnt locked up, he is an attorney and said it ran good when he parked it 2 years ago,someone else was going to look at it after me, I was going to offer him maybe $250.00 to get it out of his way,it for sure needs a muffler and a good tune up cant hear run, so its kinda a shot in the dark per say??