yellow dog piss spots, tablets to make it stop??

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by sailinstud420, Jul 12, 2006.

1. sailinstud420

sailinstud420 LawnSite Senior Member

I was talking to a guy the other day and he said he had heard of some kind of additive you can put in the dog's food so they don't make yellow spots all over the lawn? have you ever heard of such a thing? Where can they be purchased and who makes them? I think it sounds like a bunch of b.s. but I would be interested in giving it a try.

2. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

The best advice is to train your dog to go in a small secluded area if possible instead of all over the lawn. however, that is easier said than done. Training like that works best when they are a puppy.
    Female dogs cause more damage to the lawn than male dogs. Sure there are tablets you can give your dog, i'm sure there are different brands out there.
    Here is one brand I found by quickly searching yahoo.
    http://www.entirelypets.com/ecsigr1ta.html

Also, some will say mix some tomato juice in with the your dogs food, but from what I have read that is just a myth.
    It's best not to give your dog anything until first speaking to your vet. Just my 2 cents.

3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

These tablets are available in different forms. The most common now are actually cookies. Dogs love these. They used to be available through veteranariana as a prescription but are now available without one. You can get these at both vets offices and major pet stores (Petsmart, etc.). They are completely safe for dogs (there used to be concern about liver or kidney damage but they are proven to be 100% safe). Like I say, dogs love these and they DO work. They decrease the acid levels. There used to be a belief that female dogs had more acidity in their urine than males - therefore wopuld cause more damage to the lawns than males. The fact is - that the females DO cause more damage to the turf, but it is not because of the acidity. It is the focus of the acid put on the lawn. When a male urinates, he lifts his leg and tends to move around a bit more - spreading the urine over a broader area,m and not being so concentrated. When a female urinates, she squats and stands more still - putting the urine in a more concentrated area. Anyway, check these out. They are available at most pet stores.

4. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

The ones they sell at the clinic where my wife is a vet at are called "green um's" They worked great for her step dad's dog. Check at a vet clinic .

5. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

Ok I'm in, but I just don't see a brand name or a link or anything. What am I missing? Are you referring to Jodi's link? Thanks in advance for the info.