1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

yellow flower weed

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by mrkosar, Apr 1, 2007.

1. mrkosar

mrkosar LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

i've been seeing it everywhere. anyone know what it is? no it isn't a dandelion...i'm not that dumb.

it kinda looks like violets, but with a yellow flower instead of purple. maybe buttercup? i don't have a picture sorry.

is this going to be as tough to get rid of as violets?
  2. Grandview

Grandview LawnSite Gold Member
    from WI

There are yellow violets.
  3. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

what type of leaf does it have? how many? could be 1 of 2 types of oxalis, or black medic, or does the leaf represent more of a dand'lion, but w/o the serrated leaves, then it could be hawkweed. get a picture posted.
  4. teamoneoutdoors

teamoneoutdoors LawnSite Member

Could be yellow woodsorrell.
  5. Shades of Green LService

Shades of Green LService LawnSite Bronze Member

Heres Oxalis/ Yellow woodsorrel & Black medic

6. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

At this date it would have to be a winter annual. Or a very early perennial.
    I think--too early for oxalis and black medic. More description or pic please. Does it look anything like forsythia? LOL
  7. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

The most popular weed around her right now is the very early hairy bittercress. A member of the mustard family, but flowers look rather white to me.
  8. Gatewayuser

Gatewayuser LawnSite Bronze Member

It is a yellow flower with leaves that look like violets I have never seen so many of them too.
  9. mrkosar

mrkosar LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

i will get pics later this week, but it has a leaf like a violet with yellow flowers. i know what oxalis looks like...not it. not black medic. i really think it is yellow violet or buttercup. i just have never heard or seen yellow violets.
  10. lawnguyland

lawnguyland LawnSite Bronze Member

I know what you're talking about and even know the name somewhere deep in my brain but I can't find it. I think it is a member of the buttercup fmaily and used to be planted ornamentally, but is invasive. I'll figure it out and let you know