yellow grass question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jarroo's lawncare, May 31, 2006.

1. jarroo's lawncare

jarroo's lawncare LawnSite Member

i have a lawn that i have been mowing for the past month, the first time i mowed it the grass ws probably two feet tall. when i finally got it mowed it was yellow. i went back the next week and it had turned green, i mowed it and then it was yellow again. i mow all my yards at the same height and all of them are green when i get done cutting them so why is this one looking so bad?

2. spcfoor

spcfoor LawnSite Senior Member

What kind of grass is it?

3. jarroo's lawncare

fescue or whatever farmers cut for hay to feed their cows, thats is what it looked like when i got done cutting it.

4. spcfoor

spcfoor LawnSite Senior Member

If you cut fescue to short it will yellow. I have some in my own backyard that does that. Raise the height on your mower or live with it. Are the rest of your yards fescue also? Just my two cents.

5. jarroo's lawncare

yes all of my lawns are fescue and i cut them all at the height, i guess will raise the deck on this one to keep it green. i thought it might have had something to do with the grass being two feet tall before i cut it.

6. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

Sure, removing that much leaf tissue stresses the turf resulting in the chlorotic appearance. Either raise your height of cut or mow more frequently to maintain a lower height.

7. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

What happened was the fact it got so tall in the first place and that allowed the stem to get taller than normal so when you cut it now your cutting all of the blade off which is the green part and only leaving the stem which will be yellow.