yellow heat-shrink crimps

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by Mike M, Jul 25, 2008.

1. Mike M

Mike M LawnSite Bronze Member
    from usa

Some mention has been made at times for using the yellow heat-shrink crimps for attaching leads, etc.

I tried them out. They work real easily and are readily attainable.

Has anyone had a problem in soil or in any various applications? I noticed the crimp takes a little knack to get used to it--too hard and you may puncture the insulation, too light and the wire can come out. But it seems like a great way to add on leads.

Also, holy crap, I tried Mike G's method for heat-shrink: MAPP gas. Same thing, easy, fast, portable, but you have to practice to get good at it (very hot, can burn insulation easily). I like it. But not for building mounts. I'll just keep using the heat gun fun that.

2. The Lighting Geek

The Lighting Geek LawnSite Senior Member

I use the blue ones for extending fixture wire on structures and trees. Your right about getting the process down or the puncture you make defeats the purpose. I use a little portable heat shrink gun that fits in my palm and uses butane. It is small enough to keep in your tool bag all the time and very handy. It uses cartridges that look like lighters without the striker and can be refilled. I keep a couple of them on me ready to go.

3. Lite4

Lite4 LawnSite Gold Member

Mike, I used to use those but I stopped for the very reason you speak of with the insulation. I would always have to go back and either replace or epoxy. I found a better way. I use the copper buchanan crimps for the connection and then I use a 1/4" adhesive lined heat shrink tube. I buy them in 4' sticks and then cut them down to 1-1/2 -2" pieces. They shrink incredibly fast and stand up very well to the butane torch. It is also a heck of a lot cheaper than those yellow connections. They push out a nice gooey adhesive out the ends just like the Ace connectors, which I still use for my hubs.

4. INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting LawnSite Platinum Member

Even better then the crimp style that Mike speaks of is the the Belden 'solder seal' connector. You simply insert the stripped wire in each end and heat it. The solder melts first and then the outer jacket melts pushing a sealant out both ends (like the 3m waterproof shrink tube the ACE uses) These are available at UAP/NAPA and come in a variety of sizes.

They are a great in-line connector when you need to be discreet on structures.

You can use a heat gun or if you are careful a small butane torch such as the "Solder-IT"

5. Lite4

I have used them and they are nearly identical to the Yellow GB connectors Mike is talking about with one exception. They are wildly expensive and overpriced. You still have to be careful with the insulation so you don't pucture it with the crimps. I purchased them through Fastenal.

6. INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting LawnSite Platinum Member

Tim, The Belden "Solder Seals" do not require a crimp. The solder does the connection. They cost me about $1 each when I buy them in boxes of 50.

7. irrig8r

irrig8r LawnSite Platinum Member

Trying to find these via a Google search is frustrating.. ending up with radiator leak fix products, etc.

James, do you have a link?

8. Lite4

Gregg,
    Look them up under Fastenals website

9. Mike M

Mike M LawnSite Bronze Member
    from usa

Tim,

Are you crimping the Buchanon's with an ordinary wire cutter/crimper which are available everywhere, or a special tool? I figure you are not using the Buchanon crimper since you are using them for in-lines.

Where are you getting the 4' heat shrink?

10. Mark B

Mark B LawnSite Bronze Member

James the connection you are talking sounds interesting. Do you have a link or picture

I guess you guys are talking about what I call a sta-con connector. Then you put a shrink tube over the sta-con IF it will outside. (like the plumbers use in a well) MAPP gas will speed things up, but you have to be careful since MAPP is hotter then propane.