Yellow Jacket Nests

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by T Edwards, Nov 12, 2003.

1. T Edwards

T Edwards LawnSite Member

Can someone recommend the best way of destroying these pests that nest in pinestraw next to a house? Thanks.
  2. jasonlong

jasonlong LawnSite Member

I approach the burrows at twlight when they are less active and pour gas down the hole. This works for my about 99% of the time. There is usually 100 yellowjackets in the ground for everyone you see scouting, so an individual spray like BeeBopper is useless.
  3. rtyus

rtyus LawnSite Member

Don't let anyone see you pouring gas down the hole cause that's illegal. Those high pressure 20 foot stream sprays work well. Take at least a couple of cans and spray them down the hole. I've gotten rid of several nests this way.
  4. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

5. Let it Grow

Let it Grow LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah, just get some yellowjacket spray, like 3 cans, and go either at sunset, or what I do is go early in the morning because yellowjackets need warmth before they can really start moving around too much, so go when it's cold outside, and just start spraying like a madman! After a few minutes there shouldn't be any flying around, and I usually then kick open the nest and just SOAK IT. There will be LOTS of bees in it so be ready.
  6. howiehowie

howiehowie LawnSite Member

Wear protective clothing! Try to bum rush the nest and get the "Flyng Insect Killer" directly into the hole and nuke 'em as they come out. :blob2: Follow the other advice, except for the gas, that just pissed mine off!
  7. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

I soak the openings down with Diazanon. What spray that doesnt get on them will kill them when they walk through it later on. A little goes a long way with this stuff.
  8. T Edwards

T Edwards LawnSite Member

Thanks, NCSU.........I think I'll try the Diazanon early one morning before they get active.
  9. thfireman

thfireman LawnSite Senior Member

Be aware that most Yellow Jacket nest have a second entrance/exit within 6 feet of the main exit. Try and locate both and hit them after dark. Do not do as my neighbor... He poured a half a can of gunpowder down the hole and put cannon fuse in it and lite it. Seconds later he had a large hole in his lawn and it rained dirt over three neighbors houses. But the yellow jacket were gone for good.
  10. heybruck34

heybruck34 LawnSite Senior Member

Fireman- I live in the Southpark area of Charlotte too- what neighborhood did this take place in? That is too funny!

Q- What's the last thing a redneck says before he dies?

A - "Hey ya'll, watch this........." BOOM!