1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Yellow Jackets and Diagnosis

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by eruuska, Aug 21, 2006.

1. eruuska

eruuska LawnSite Senior Member

Got a customer with a few fruit trees. Sprayed 'em on 7/24 with Sevin, for Japanese beetles. Two weeks later I was back mowing and checked on the trees. All was well except for one tree that was buzzing with yellow jackets. And the tree was leaning to one side.

I grabbed the trunk and was able to wobble it from side to side. I could have easily pushed it over. This is a tree with a 5" diameter trunk. Fruit looked normal (other than a little insect-eaten), leaves looked normal.

Customer was on vacation so I sent an email letting them know of the problem. Now, two weeks after that, the tree is clearly dying. I don't see any hope for it. The leaves look a little wilted but still green. The fruit is all but gone, eaten by insects.

I want to get in close to check the roots and take a soil sample, but I can't get close because of the hundreds of wasps that are there snacking. I was thinking of spraying it with more Sevin, then going back the next day. Would that do the job?

So, 2 questions:

What the he!! could do this to a tree?

What's the best way to deal with the yellow jackets? At this point I can wait for a couple days for something to work.
  2. nmurph

nmurph LawnSite Senior Member
    from ga

just move slowly. bees, wasp and yellow jackets are usually only defensive around their nest. we have pear trees that are magnets to insects and i have never had a problem.
  3. NickN

NickN LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

Hard to say about the tree(heavy winds lately?)
    For yellow jackets,DEMON works great.
  4. GreenUtah

GreenUtah LawnSite Senior Member
    from SLC, UT

it has to be root damage of some sort, you likely won't know until you can clear it. Sevin is not nearly as effective as it once was, make sure that you alternate the family of insecticides that you use so that you aren't creating resistant pests any quicker than that already happens. If the fruit is not goign to be harvested, you can have at em with a wide variety of products. Have you seen your july app be effective on the beetle target everywhere else on the property?
  5. eruuska

eruuska LawnSite Senior Member

Absolutely there's root damage. And the fruit is definitely not going to be used at this point. The July app was extremely effective. They have several fruit trees and TONS of roses, and everything else is insect-free so far.

My quick n dirty alternative to Sevin would be those knock-down sprays available everywhere. Do those have residual effects on the tree? If I use it, say today, will the tree be insect-free tomorrow? Because those things were everywhere. All over the tree, all over the fallen fruit, and I don't see this going away by itself any time soon.

My only real inkling so far is a below-ground insect infestation. If this is the case, I don't want to wait too long to put down a Talstar app.

Thanks, guys, you're getting the ol' brain moving!
  6. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

Most of the time, yellow jackets dont fly at night and go back to there nest. Couold you go in after dark and get a soil sample?

7. GreenUtah

GreenUtah LawnSite Senior Member
    from SLC, UT

most of the knockdown materials do have at least some residual and claims are minutes, not days for kill. The Talstar would also wipe them out in short order if you plan on an app with it anyway. what about rot on this tree...is that possible with it's location?
  8. bugmen

bugmen LawnSite Member
    from 08012

drione dust is the best if legal to buy without a license
  9. olive123

olive123 LawnSite Senior Member

you dont want to use dust...youll never get it on the target pest. You need either canned pyrethrin or one of those quick knock down bee and wasp sprays
  10. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

cross check in a tank sprayer has quick knock down and a good residual effect.
    I have been nailing the nest like crazy around here. paper wasp and white faced hornets everywhere
    oh and the little ground digger yellow jackets that I hate the most.